Whole Wheat Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins Topped with Granola
Yup. I said it. I am on a pumpkin rollllllllllllllllllll.
I can’t be stopped with all things pumpkin and I don’t see myself stopping any time soon. I will continue this all the way up until the holidays (and maybe even after!) Call me crazy, I know.
There is something about pumpkin treats that remind me of my childhood, so maybe that’s what I want to keep making them? The smell of pumpkin bread baking in the oven stimulates that sensory triggers that remind me of being a kid.
Some people remember their mom’s homemade birthday cake, or their dad’s Saturday morning pancakes, but for me – that memory is my mom’s homemade pumpkin chocolate chip bread.
I don’t even know where she got the original recipe from, but I do know that we used to triple the recipe when we made it so that we could share some loaves with our neighbors, freeze others so that we could eat them in a month or two after baking, and then of course so we could have some right then.
It was such a special day with my mom when we would bake pumpkin bread together, and I can’t wait to pass that tradition on to my kids.
Since that bread was one of my favorites, I knew I wanted to create a healthier muffin twist on the original recipe. I also last minute added grain-free granola to the top for some extra healthy fats, but that part is totally optional.
These whole-wheat muffins are hands down, my absolute favorite recipe that I’ve created on the blog to date. I shared them with my dear friends, roommates, and boyfriend and all of them personally reached out to me to tell me that they were delicious!
And the best part? They are healthy enough to eat for breakfast – but let’s be real, who cares if the muffin is healthy enough for breakfast, sometimes you just need the damn muffin.
If you make these muffins, please let me know! Be sure to tag me on Instagram as well.
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup honey
- 2 room temperature eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1¾ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- ½ cup chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life)
- ¼ cup grainless granola (I used Paleo Passion Foods)
- Preheat oven to 325F and grease/lin muffin tin. I use a silicone mold and I love it because I don't need to grease or line.
- In a large bowl, mix the coconut oil, honey and eggs together. Add in pumpkin, almond milk, vanilla and mix, then set aside.
- In small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, and spices.
- Slowly add dry ingredients into wet.
- Once combined, add in any mix-ins. I folded in chocolate chips.
- Pour into muffin tins, top with granola (if you choose) and bake for 22-25 minutes. Mine were done after 23 minutes. Let cool completely before eating.