Grain-Free Banana Bread
HI THERE! Happy Monday, my friends! I have been cooking and baking all.the.things. lately and I absolutely love it. With making all of these delicious eats, I need test bunnies to make sure that I’m not being biased towards my own food. I’ve had to get creative in this department – who will give me an honest opinion on what I’ve made, or if its something that I’ve already decided is delicious, who can I pawn some food off onto? My parents have done a lot of trading in Chips Ahoy for home baked cookies.
While I do eat every single thing I make and put up on the blog, I’m not trying to have 5 dozen cookies, breads, muffins, and truffles to eat every night. It gets overwhelming and my freezer is begging for me to stop cramming stuff in. So I guess I need to come up with some more options.
It’s great when I get an idea of something I want to bake and have time to recipe test, bake, and shoot the food all in one sitting and that is exactly what happened last weekend. I had no serious plans and my Sunday was looking like the perfect day to get stuff. Plus, I had tons of ripe bananas that were asking to be used up.
So banana bread was on the agenda! Please note the atrocity that was NO chocolate chips inside this banana bread. My dad gave up sweets for Lent and told me that the only way he would be able to eat it is without chocolate chips because then it is just “bread”…. Not sure about this thinking, but I needed my right-hand taste tester to let me know his thoughts, so chocolate-chip-less it was. I don’t advise, though. Always add chocolate chips. It won’t happen again.
This banana bread recipe is incredible. It is so so so moist and reminded me of one of my favorite banana cakes that I made for one of my college roommates several years ago. I couldn’t get enough of it and it went so fast in my house. The recipe is gluten + grain-free and can easily be made paleo by replacing peanut butter with almond or cashew butter. Pair it with a cup of coffee and I’m not sure I can think of a better way to start the day.
Oh, and don’t skip out on the chocolate chips.
- 3 medium ripe mashed bananas
- 3 eggs - room temperature or your melted coconut oil will harden
- ½ cup peanut butter (or any nut butter of choice)
- 1 tbsp. melted coconut oil
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (if your dad didn't give them up for lent...)
- Preheat oven to 350 F and spray a loaf pan with non-stick spray
- Mash bananas in medium bowl, whisk in eggs, peanut butter, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla
- In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients and lightly mix
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir to combine
- Fold in chocolate chips
- Pour into prepared loaf pan
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown