Healthy Banana Bread Muffins
Hey friends! Happy Monday. How was your weekend? After the entire month of June being go,go,go, I’m really thrilled that I have some weekends in July to just take it easy. This past weekend was spent with friends and loving the warm summer weather, which I’m sure many of you saw on my Instagram. Please don’t ever go away.
Part of the reason why I like where I live is that we get to experience all four seasons, but I definitely don’t find myself saying that when its nine degrees in the morning. I guess that just means more excuses to stay inside and bake delicious goodies.
I’ve recently been buying so many bananas with the intention of baking up some new crafty banana recipe, but then find myself always turning to my typical banana bread recipe. I even spent some time on Pinterest last week trying to find new recipes that are perfect for overripe bananas, but I still just made another loaf. If it ain’t broke dont fix it, right?
Last weekend, my usual bananas were ready to be transformed into something magical so I decided to turn my bread into muffins. Something about muffins just make me so happy. I even added cute little banana chips to the top.
This batch came with me to work (it’s not a bad gig to be my co-worker/friend/boyfriend, I’m always looking to pawn off some goodies onto someone!) and my co-workers had eaten them all within an hour of putting them out. Someone even left me a note that said they were delicious, how sweet was that?
I toyed with the idea of not telling them that they were made with healthier ingredients but ultimately decided to let them know. I actually didn’t know if it would make them excited to be eating something healthy or deter them from wanting to even try, but I figured that this is my brand and this is how I like to bake. I want to be able to show people that baking with healthier ingredients doesn’t have to be tasteless. Everyone loved them!
I kept two for myself and ate one straight out of the oven, drizzled with melted peanut butter. It was a complete match made in heaven. Who doesn’t love banana and peanut butter? Let me know if you give them a try!
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup coconut sugar (can replace with brown sugar)
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3 bananas)
- ¼ cup milk of choice (I used almond milk)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1¾ cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup old-fashioned oats (could leave this out and add more flour if don't have)
- Preheat oven to 325F and prepare muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, mix oil and sugar together.
- Add in whisked eggs and stir.
- Add in mashed bananas, milk, and vanilla.
- In separate bowl mix remainder of dry ingredients together.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and stir to combine.
- Divide into greased or lined muffin tins and bake for 23- 25 min or use toothpick test.