Healthy Cornbread with Cinnamon Honey Butter will take your Super Bowl chili to the next level!
Let’s talk cornbread. My absolute favorite version of bread – I like it fresh out of the oven, in stuffing, crumbled into soups, or even topped with homemade cinnamon honey butter.
Growing up, my family typically ate a very standard American diet that didn’t include much fast food. Anytime we went to McDonald’s or Wendy’s, it was for a special treat and I remember just how excited I was. The only place that we would go to more often than those fast food joints was Boston Market.
Enter the best cornbread in the world. I don’t know if you grew up going to Boston Market but the Morrissey family would be there at least once a month. The cheesy mac and cheese. The hot cinnamon apples. But my favorite part? The CORNBREAD. I always got the chicken, with two sides and DOUBLE cornbread because homegirl liked her cornbread.
There was something about it that could not compare to anywhere else. It was straight, fluffy magic.
I haven’t been back to Boston Market in forever, and I’m not even sure if they still even exist (?!) but last week when I was making a pre-made box mix cornbread, I took a look at the ingredients and realized that I could most likely make a better tasting and healthier version of my favorite side.
I had to re-test the recipe twice because I wanted it to be perfect and I think you all will love it.
It came out perfectly moist, slightly crumbling (but not dry at all!) and the flavor was on point. Don’t skip the cinnamon honey butter – I promise. A little goes a long way too, so if you’re weary about butter just add as much as you would like!
The Super Bowl is next week, and you need to bring this cornbread!
- 1¼ cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup cornmeal
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 egg, room temp
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 cup milk of choice (I used almond)
- 1 cup softened salted butter (I used Kerrygold)
- ½ cup honey
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400F
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt.
- Set aside.
- In medium bowl, whisk egg.
- Add in oil, maple syrup, and milk. Whisk until blended.
- Add dry ingredients to wet, careful not to over-mix. Some lumps are okay.
- Coat a 8x8 pan with cooking spray and pour batter into pan.
- Bake for 20-23 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- While baking, prepare butter spread.
- In a bowl, mix together softened butter, honey, and cinnamon.
- Store the butter in refrigerator and the cornbread at room temperature.