- 1/2 stick unsalted butter (4 tbsp)
- 5 yellow onions, sliced thin (about 3lbs)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3 tbsp flour
- 8 cups beef broth
- 16 slices of baguette
- 2 cups grated gruyere cheese
- In a large dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat. Once melted, add in sliced onions and mix. Allow to cook for 15 minutes over medium-heat, stirring occasionally.
- After 15 minutes, turn heat to medium, and add garlic, salt, pepper, bay leaves, and thyme. Cook for another 20-30 minutes or until onions are brown and caramelized. Keep stirring occasionally.
- Once onions are caramelized, add wine and let reduce until most of the wine has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Then stir in the flour.
- Once flour is incorporated, add beef broth and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Preheat oven to broil.
- Fill soup bowls or crocks with soup, then add 2 slices of baguette and 1/4 cup shredded gruyere on top of each bowl. Broil for 5-6 minutes or until top is bubbly and golden. Keep an eye on it!
Category: soup, dinner, lunch, meal prep, winterMethod: stoveCuisine: French