- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 2 cans white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1.5 lb chicken breasts, raw (2 large breasts)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 4oz cans green chiles
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 can corn, drained and rinsed.
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt (I used 2%)
- Greek yogurt
- cheddar cheese
- tortilla chips
- Saute onions in olive oil until soft. Add in garlic for one minute and then add in all spices.
- In a separate bowl, mash 1 cup of beans with a potato masher until soft, we will use this to thicken the soup.
- Add broth, mashed and regular beans, green chiles, fire roasted tomatoes, and corn into pot. Then add in the chicken breasts and cook at medium-high heat.
- Once it comes to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook 15-20 minutes until chicken is cooked through, this will vary depending on the size of the chicken breasts.
- Once chicken is cooked, turn off heat and take out the breasts. When chicken is cool enough to handle, shred with two forks.
- Add the chicken back in, along with the juice of one lime and the Greek yogurt.
- Stir all together and serve with extra toppings such as cilantro, Greek yogurt, cheese, tortilla strips, and jalapenos.
For crockpot: Place all ingredients in crockpot and cook on low for 5-6 hours. Shred chicken with fork and place back into crockpot for serving.