This Gluten Free Apple Crumble Pie is a delicious and healthier take on the classic apple pie. It is made from minimal natural ingredients, two different types of apples, and is very simple to make.
- 2 cups Gluten Free All Purpose Flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
- 2 Tablespoons sugar (I used coconut sugar)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chilled butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- 1/2– – 3/4 cup water (add in by one tablespoon at a time, you want it moist and able to form a ball easily)
- 6 medium sized apples, peeled, cored and sliced thin (3 sweet apples and 3 tart apples, I used Honeycrisp and Granny Smith)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup Gluten Free flour
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/3 cup chilled and cubed butter
- In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, and salt.
- Using a pastry cutter or fork, blend butter into flour mixture until small crumbs are formed and it is well incorporated.
- Add in one egg, mixture will still be fairly dry.
- Slowly add in water until ball starts to form and crust resembles dough.
- Place in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Add cored, peeled, and sliced apples to a bowl.
- Pour lemon juice on top and mix.
- Combine coconut sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a small bowl and pour onto apple mixture.
- Stir until apples are completely coated. Let them sit while making crumble.
- In a bowl, combine flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Using a pastry cutter or fork, blend in butter until crumbly and well combined.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Grease a pie dish.
- Take your dough out of the fridge and place between two sheets of parchment paper.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out to the size of your pie pan.
- Peel off once side of parchment paper and place greased pie dish upside down on crust.
- Flip it over and press down into dish, ensuring the crust is flat on the dish. If you want to pinch the edges of your crust for a design, now is the time to do so. You may have leftover crust (I did!).
- Place apples into pie crust and stack them up high, they will shrink down during cooking.
- Using your hands, press the crumble into the top of the apple mixture. You don’t want to be able to see the apples.
- Place pie dish on baking sheet in case of spillage.
- Bake in a 400F oven for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
- Let cool completely before serving.
- Store at room temperature for 3-4 days.
- Category: thanksgiving, gluten free, apple pie
Keywords: healthy apple pie, thanksgiving dessert recipe, healthy gluten free dessert, gluten free apple pie