- 2 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
Banana Cream Filling
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp cornstarch, whisked with a little bit of cold water in separate bowl to form a runny ‘glue’ like texture. This prevents clumping and is a necessary step.
- Sliced banana
Coconut Whipped Cream (you can also use your favorite store bought brand – found in freezer aisle)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare pie dish by greasing.
- In a large bowl, mix the almond flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt with a whisk.
- In a small bowl, combine egg, maple syrup, and oil.
- Add to almond flour mixture and stir till combined.
- Press into greased pie dish and pierce with fork.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool completely before adding banana topping.
For Banana Cream:
- In a sauce pan, heat coconut milk and maple syrup over medium heat until bubbles start to form.
- Whisk in cornstarch mixture vigorously and stir every so often. Once it starts to boil rapidly, keep stirring for 2-3 minutes or until thickens. The mixture should have thickened and looks slightly jiggly.
- Turn off heat once slightly thickened, continuing to whisk.
- Pour into bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let cool in refrigerator for minimum two hours.
- While cooling, it’s time to make the coconut whipped cream.
For Coconut Whipped Cream:
- Using a hand mixer and a COLD bowl, beat coconut cream (top part of can), maple syrup, and vanilla until fluffy. Store in fridge until ready to use.
- When two hours is up, whisk coconut/cornstarch mixture from the fridge. There may be a few small clumps but that is okay.
- Gently fold in 1/2 cup of the coconut whipped cream.
- Once combined, slice a banana and place the slices at the bottom of the crust.
- Pour the coconut mixture over top of the bananas and refrigerate minimum two hours.
- Top with the rest of the whipped cream and chill for minimum 4 hours or overnight.
- Top more banana slices and chocolate shavings before serving. You can also caramelize bananas in a pan with a little coconut sugar and cinnamon over high heat for ~3 minutes for an added touch.
- Enjoy pie within three days.