- 3 lb yukon gold potatoes
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- pinch cayenne
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder (or 1/2 tbsp cornstarch)
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 and spray a 7×11 dish with nonstick spray. a 9×13 will also work, it will just be thinner.
- Slice potatoes thin, about 1/8th inch thick. Layer half of the potatoes on the bottom of the pan, in overlapping layers.
- In a sauce pan, turn on medium high heat and add butter. Once melted, add in onion and saute for a few minutes until slightly softened. Add in garlic, thyme, salt, pepper, and cayenne and stir until combined well.
- Whisk in milk and arrowroot powder, and bring to low simmer for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. The mixture should begin to thicken. Turn off heat.
- Add in 1/3 of the cheddar cheese to the milk and stir to melt.
- Pour half of the cheese sauce over the first half of the potatoes and spread out with spoon.
- Add the rest of the potatoes on top in a stacked pattern. Pour the rest of the cheese sauce on top of the potatoes, and spread evenly with spoon.
- Top with remaining cheese and bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
Category: sides, holiday, gluten-free, dinnerMethod: ovenCuisine: AmericanDiet: Gluten Free