- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced.
- 2 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 3 cups sweet potatoes, peeled + diced
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 1 cup pumpkin puree*
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 5oz bag spinach
- Optional: crushed peanuts and cilantro to top, rice on the side.
- Heat a large soup pan or dutch oven over medium heat. Add 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Once heated, add yellow onion and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add in garlic, ginger, cumin and salt and saute for 1 minute. Lower heat to low.
- Add in veggie broth, sweet potatoes, tomato paste, peanut butter, pumpkin, and chickpeas, and stir until well combined.
- Let mixture simmer over medium-low heat for 20 minutes or until sweet potatoes are fork tender.
- After 20 minutes, turn off heat and stir in spinach. Let sit for 5 minutes or until spinach as wilted in.
- Serve with rice, ground peanuts, and cilantro. Enjoy!
* you can find pumpkin puree year round in the baking aisle, this can also be substituted with mashed sweet potato.