- 5lbs mashed potatoes (I used a mix of yukon gold and russet. I peeled the russet but left skins on the gold)
- 1 stick butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh cracked pepper
- chives + butter for garnish
- Heat a large pot with several cups of water, enough to totally cover potatoes once they are put in. Bring to a boil and then add 2 tsp salt.
- Prepare potatoes by cutting into cubes. I peeled the skins off the russet potatoes but not the yukon for a little bit of texture.
- Add the potatoes to the boiling water and continue to boil for 15 minutes or until fork goes tenderly into potato.
- While potatoes are cooking, in a saucepan, heat one stick over butter over medium heat. Add minced garlic and let cook for 2 minutes, then add in milk. Bring to a low simmer then turn off heat.
- Drain potatoes, then add back to large pot.
- Pour milk & butter mixture over potatoes and using a potato masher, mash potatoes very well until most large chunks are blended and the potatoes are at your desired texture.
- Add in sour cream, salt, and pepper and stir until all combined. Taste test potatoes and add more salt and pepper as desired.
- Top with more butter and chives before serving.
Category: holiday, dinner, side dishMethod: stovetopCuisine: AmericanDiet: Gluten Free