The best parts of Thanksgiving are all the classic side dishes! Serve this homemade healthier apple sausage stuffing and feel free to indulge in family-favorite comfort food.
- 10 heaping cups cubed sandwich bread, I use half white and half whole wheat.
- 1lb chicken sausage, in a tube near the meat or behind the butcher counter. One that can be crumbled into pieces like ground meat.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium apples, peeled and diced. I used Gala
- 2 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cut your bread into 1 inch pieces and place on baking sheet.
- Toast bread pieces for 10-15 minutes, or until slightly brown and crispy. Leave the oven on.
- Once cooled, pour bread into large bowl.
- Brown chicken sausage in a skillet until cooked through and then transfer sausage/drippings to bowl with bread.
- Using the same skillet, heat olive oil. Then saute celery and onions for 5 minutes.
- Add in garlic and apple chunks and saute for an addition 3-5 minutes or until apples are soft.
- Pour apple mixture on top of bread and sausage mixture.
- Add your sage, thyme, salt and pepper on top of bread mixture.
- In another bowl, whisk together your eggs and chicken stock.
- Pour egg mixture on top of bread mixture and begin to stir.
- Mix it up until every piece is evenly coated. You don’t want your bread to be soggy, but you want it to have moisture. If it feels too dry and you need to add more stock, now would be the time.
- Pour into greased 9×13 pan and bake uncovered for 50-55 minutes or until nice and golden brown.
- Sprinkle dried cranberries on top after baking if desired.
- Category: thanksgiving, nut-free, dinner
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: healthy thanksgiving recipes, healthy stuffing recipes, sausage stuffing, easy thanksgiving recipes