This healthy apple chicken sausage stuffing is a lightened up, gluten free take on a classic Thanksgiving side dish! The sweetness from the apple and the savory from the sausage make this stuffing the taste like the holidays.
- 12 oz (one loaf) gluten free bread – I used Whole Food’s brand from the freezer, defrosted.
- 1/2 lb chicken sausage (I got from the butcher counter)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 apples, peeled and chopped (I used Gala + Granny Smith)
- 2 cups chicken broth (or veggie!)
- 2 eggs, whisked.
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Cut bread into small cubes and put in large mixing bowl.
- In a pan, heat one tablespoon olive oil.
- Take the casing off the sausage so it can be broken up and then place it into hot pan.
- Once completely cooked, pour sausage and drippings over top of bread.
- In same pan as sausage once was, heat other tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add in celery and onions and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add in garlic, sage, thyme, salt, pepper, and apples and cook for about 5 minutes or until apples start to soften.
- Add chicken broth to apple mixture and stir to combine. Then pour mixture over the sausage and bread.
- Add in whisked eggs.
- Mix the sausage apple bread mixture with the whisked eggs until completely coated and every piece is wet. If bread still seems too dry, add a little more chicken broth for extra moisture. However, you don’t want it to be soaking wet just completely moist.
- Pour into greased 9×13 pan and bake COVERED for 45 minutes then leave uncovered for the last 5-10 until crispy on top.
- Category: side dish, gluten free, dairy free
Keywords: gluten free stuffing, stuffing, easy thanksgiving recipe, thanksgiving stuffing