Made with coconut sugar, whole wheat flour, and almond milk, Healthy Cinnamon Rolls are a delicious, comforting treat. They’re perfectly satiating, easy to make, and the perfect homemade breakfast.
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup melted butter or coconut oil
- .25oz package instant yeast
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1.5 – 2 cups all purpose flour (depending on how wet your dough is)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1 8oz block cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease 9×13 dish.
- In a large bowl, heat almond milk and butter until melted and 110F. This should be luke warm, not hot, in order to activate the yeast.
- Sprinkle yeast on top of warm milk mixture and let sit for ten minutes.
- While sitting, mix together flours and salt in another bowl.
- After milk has sat for ten minutes, whisk in coconut sugar.
- Once oven has reached temperature, turn it off and open door. I use this as a ‘warm’ place for my rolls to rise during the winter months.
- Add wet ingredients into flour and stir until well combined. Cover with plastic wrap and set in slightly warm oven with open door for 45 minutes. The dough should double in size.
- While dough is rising, prepare cinnamon sugar mixture by mixing coconut sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl.
- Flour a large surface and dump dough onto it. If dough is too sticky, add more flour. You should be able to form it into a large rectangle shape.
- Once in a large rectangle, spread softened butter on top. Then evenly sprinkle cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Roll tightly from one side to the other, keeping it nice and tight the whole time.
- Once in a long roll, cut in half once using floss or a sharp knife (I prefer using floss to cut it)
- Cut each half into 6 rolls and place them into a greased baking dish. Brush with melted butter.
- Turn oven back on and preheat to 350F with rolls sitting on top of oven.
- Once preheated, bake rolls for 25-30 minutes or until slightly golden.
- While baking, prepare frosting by blending all of the ingredients together in a food processor or by using a whisk until smooth.
- Frost cinnamon rolls when still warm, or once cooled if preferred.
- Category: whole wheat, holiday, nut-free
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cinnamon rolls, healthy cinnamon rolls, holiday baking, christmas morning, cinnabun