- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 large white onion, diced very small
- 2 large carrots, diced very small
- 2 celery stalks, diced very small
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced very small, any color works
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1 cup dried green lentils, rinsed
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Heat a large skillet with avocado oil. Once hot, add in onions, carrot, celery, and pepper. Let cook 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add in garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, basil and red pepper, and let cook an additional 2-3 minutes or until veggies are starting to soften.
- Add in the lentils, water, diced tomatoes, and balsamic vinegar and stir.
- Bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower heat to medium and cook for 40-45 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed and lentils are cooked.
- Serve over pasta, spaghetti squash, or with bread.
Category: vegan, vegetarian, lunch, dinnerMethod: stovetopCuisine: ItalianDiet: Vegan