Send your tastebuds for a flavor whirl with Lentil Veggie Bolognese, a wonderful vegan option that the entire family will enjoy!
The best vegetarian bolognese you’ll ever taste
Do you ever try a recipe that winds up tasting so good that it instantly becomes a household staple? That’s this lentil veggie bolognese. When pizza, lasagna, and everything else you can think of won’t cut it, this is the recipe to make. It will instantly become a classic creation à la your house!
The cool thing about veggie lentil bolognese is that we’re using lentils and no meat, so it’s an awesome vegetarian dish to share with any meatless eaters in your life. Coincidentally, it’s totally vegan too! It’s perfect for potlucks or other gatherings with a crowd.
Ingredients in this lentil bolognese recipe
You’ll notice that this recipe is packed with veggies… that’s what makes it so good! Each one was chosen specifically for the flavor (and crunch) that it provides.
- Avocado Oil: To start, you’ll need 2 tbsp of avocado oil to cook the veggies.
- White Onion: First up for the veggies is 1/2 of a large white onion for great savory flavor. Dice it into small pieces.
- Large Carrots: Next, include 2 large carrots, also diced into very small pieces.
- Celery Stalks: Celery adds a subtle taste but makes a big difference. Use 2 stalks, sliced small.
- Bell Pepper: Last for the veggies, include 1/2 of a bell pepper. You can use green, red, or whatever you prefer — just dice it up!
- Garlic: Because garlic is always a good idea, include 3 cloves, minced.
- Salt, Basil, & Oregano: For flavor, throw in 1 tsp each of salt, dried basil, and oregano.
- Pepper & Red Pepper: Follow that up with 1/2 tsp each of ground black pepper and red pepper flakes. If you don’t like heat, you can omit the red pepper flakes.
- Lentil: 1 cup of dried green lentils will bulk up the bolognese. Be sure to rinse them first.
- Water: Next, add liquid with 2.5 cups of water.
- Tomatoes: Add one 28oz can of diced tomatoes.
- Balsamic Vinegar: Last but not least, 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar will bring everything together.
Tools needed to create this dish
To make this recipe you will need a large skillet, knife, cutting board, and something to stir with.
For measuring, you will need the following sized cups: 1/2 tsp, 1 tsp, 1/4 cup, 1/2 cup, and 1 cup.
How to make this lentil veggie bolognese recipe
Lentil bolognese is made just like regular bolognese, only we’re skipping the meat step. This dish comes together in under an hour and is a meal that the entire family will love!
First, heat the avocado oil in a large skillet. Once hot, add the diced onions, carrots, celery, and pepper. Let the mixture cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
Next, add the garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, basil, and red pepper, letting it cook for an additional 2-3 minutes or until the veggies start to soften.
Add the lentils, water, diced tomatoes, and balsamic vinegar, and stir.
After stirring, bring the mix to a boil. Once there, lower the heat to medium and cook for 40-45 minutes or until all of the liquid is absorbed and the lentils are cooked.
Serving your vegan bolognese
There are many options and variations when it comes to serving this dish. Some of my favorites include pasta, spaghetti squash, a baked potato, or even toast! Get fancy with it. Oh, and a side salad is always the perfect pairing!
Leftovers should be kept in a tightly sealed container and placed in the refrigerator. Enjoy within 2-3 days!
If you liked this recipe, you’ll want to try these!
Need some more entrees in your life? Here are some of my most popular recipes, guaranteed to hit the spot!
- Easy Pizza Casserole Recipe
- Turkey Shepherd’s Pie
- Healthy Teriyaki Salmon
- Easy Veggie Fried Cauliflower Rice
- Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
Recipe by Erin Morrissey + Photos by The Mindful Hapa
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 large white onion, diced very small
- 2 large carrots, diced very small
- 2 celery stalks, diced very small
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced very small, any color works
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1 cup dried green lentils, rinsed
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Heat a large skillet with avocado oil. Once hot, add in onions, carrot, celery, and pepper. Let cook 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add in garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, basil and red pepper, and let cook an additional 2-3 minutes or until veggies are starting to soften.
- Add in the lentils, water, diced tomatoes, and balsamic vinegar and stir.
- Bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower heat to medium and cook for 40-45 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed and lentils are cooked.
- Serve over pasta, spaghetti squash, or with bread.
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂