These pineapple turkey burgers are a lightened-up version of a BBQ staple! The secret is the pineapple and soy sauce combination. Easily make these Hawaiian burgers gluten-free!
A Sweet Juicy Burger With Island Vibes
When it comes to burgers, are you team toppings and sauce, or team only meat and cheese? I’m for sure team toppings and sauce all the way! I recently tried out this recipe for a healthy greek burger topped with a homemade tzatziki sauce and veggies, and it was so delicious.
I love finding new flavors that really pop as I bite into a juicy burger!
You know what’s even better? When a burger has a sweet and salty combination – the best of both worlds.
I personally have a sweet tooth – not ashamed to admit it! Thankfully, there are plenty of different types of fruit that provide natural sweetness without adding processed sugar to my recipes.
That’s why I am so excited for this pineapple turkey burger! A juicy tender turkey patty seasoned with fresh garlic, chopped red onions and cilantro… It’s perfect for family burger night!
For this turkey burger recipe, I used sliced pineapple because not only does it remind me of laying in a hammock on an island paradise, but it perfectly compliments the umami flavor from the soy sauce.
You are going to flip over how amazing this burger tastes!
Ingredients In These Hawaiian Turkey Burgers
This recipe is a marriage of Hawaiian pineapple and salty Asian soy flavors. By using ground turkey and fresh ingredients, we created an unforgettable burger that is layered with incredible taste!
- Ground Turkey: Start with one pound of ground turkey. The best kind of burgers is 93/7 – it’s really lean and fries up really well.
- Red Onion: Since red onions have a very strong flavor profile, you only need to use 1/2 of one. You want to have the red onion complement the rest of the dish, not be completely overwhelming.
- Cilantro: Use lots of fresh cilantro – about 1/2 cup. It just needs to be roughly chopped, so run your knife through it a few times.
- Garlic: Fresh garlic cloves will have the best flavor in this turkey burger recipe. You can use garlic powder in a pinch, but two garlic cloves will give you the best results.
- Soy Sauce: Next, you only need about 2 tablespoons of soy sauce. If you want this to be a gluten-free recipe, use tamari or coconut aminos instead of soy sauce.
- Ginger: I think dried ginger has the perfect amount of spice and punch of flavor. If you use fresh ginger, use 1/4 teaspoon – you don’t need as much since fresh ginger has a much more powerful taste.
- Pineapple: Use as much pineapple as you want! For my family and me, that was about 5 slices.
Kitchen Tools Required For Pineapple Turkey Burgers
You don’t need very many kitchen tools to make these simple and fresh burgers. Grab all your tools before you begin so that you are ready to just breeze through the process.
- Cutting Board
- Box Grater
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Skillet or Indoor Grill
For measuring cups, you will need 1/2 cup, a tablespoon, and 1/2 teaspoon.
How To Make Easy Turkey Burgers With Pineapple At Home
Making the burgers is incredibly easy – and even a little bit fun!
In a large bowl, add turkey. Using a box grater, grate onion into turkey meat. This keeps the burgers extra juicy because it retains the juice from the onions.
Add in cilantro, garlic, soy sauce, and ginger. Stir until all combined.
Next, form the meat into burger shapes, about 110g.
Heat a pan over medium heat and spray with nonstick spray.
Cook the burgers for about 5 minutes on each side, covering them after flipping.
After the burgers are finished cooking, add pineapple to the pan for about 2 minutes on each side. Add the pineapple on top of the burger.
Serve and enjoy!
Wondering if you can use different burger toppings? There are a few things you can add to your burger for a delicious outcome.
I recommend a white onion instead of red if you think the red onion is too strong. It will be milder, possibly making it a bit more kid-friendly.
You could even grill some bell pepper slices and add them on top of the burger too. Bell peppers have their own tastes and health benefits, plus they add lots of lovely pops of color to your burger.
If you want to add some cheese, I suggest using provolone. It has just a bit of a bite without being so bold that it takes away from the other flavors of the burger.
Not a big fan of cilantro? Just leave it off! In fact, you can replace cilantro with the same amount of parsley, and it will (probably) taste a lot better to ya.
Burger Storage Tips
Honestly, burgers just taste the best when they are fresh off the stove or grill. If you want to make them ahead for your meal prep (or you just have leftovers), store the burger patties separately from the toppings.
Keep your turkey burgers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
What To Eat With Pineapple Turkey Burgers
These Hawaiian burgers taste amazing with some fries. My favorite fries for sweet burgers like this one are crispy baked chili lime sweet potato fries. The layers of flavor on them are unparalleled.
Another great side dish idea that will taste great with the Hawaiian burgers is these garlic sesame green beans!
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are some common pineapple turkey burger questions. Don’t see the answer you’re looking for? Leave a comment at the bottom of this post!
How is turkey healthier than beef?
The biggest difference between turkey and beef is that turkey has less saturated fat. It’s commonly called a “heart-healthy meat” for that exact reason. When you fry it, you’ll notice less grease – that’s why I prefer to use it to make burgers.
How do you make it gluten-free?
It’s really easy to make gluten-free burgers. Use tamari instead of soy sauce since soy sauce usually has wheat in it. Then, serve the burger on gluten-free buns or wrap it in a large leaf of lettuce.
Is canned pineapple ok to use, or is fresh better?
Honestly, either one is just as good as the other. I know how tedious slicing fresh pineapple can be. If you use canned pineapple, it will save you a lot of time and energy. Just make sure and rinse off any syrup or try to find pineapple that is stored in water.
If you liked this recipe, you’ll want to try these!
Here are some more of my favorite grilled recipes that you should try next. Enjoy!
- Healthy BBQ Chicken Thighs
- Simple Turkey Burger Recipe
- Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken
- Healthy Greek Turkey Burgers With Tzatziki
Recipe by Erin Morrissey + Photography by Moriah Sawtelle
- 1 lb 93/7 ground turkey
- 1/2 small red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp dried ginger
- 5 slices pineapple
- In a large bowl, add turkey. Using a box grater, grate onion into turkey meat. This keeps the burgers extra juicy.
- Add in cilantro, garlic, soy sauce, and ginger. Stir until all combined.
- Form into burger shapes, about 110g.
- Heat a pan over medium heat and spray with nonstick spray.
- Cook burgers for 5 minutes on each side, covering them after flipping.
- After burgers are done cooking, add pineapple to pan for about 2 minutes on each side. Add on top of burger.
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂