Enjoy this Simple Turkey Burger Recipe for a quick and easy meal that can be customized with your favorite toppings. Only 5 minutes of prep time needed!
Your new favorite go-to dinner
What’s for dinner tonight? If you’re still undecided, I’m about to choose for you with this simple turkey burger recipe. These easy but perfectly seasoned burgers are absolutely delicious atop fluffy sesame buns and garnished with your favorite burger add-ons!
With only 5 minutes of prep time, this is the perfect mid-week meal for enjoying after a long work day. However, it’s also fun and tasty on a relaxed weekend evening, and perfect for serving to friends or guests!
Turkey burgers hit the spot basically hit the spot no matter the occasion. Let’s dive in!
Ingredients in easy homemade turkey burgers
Easy ground turkey burgers start with just that – ground turkey – before jumping into the spices and mixed-in onion (which is a huge component fo the great flavor!).
- Ground turkey: First up, begin with 1 lb of ground turkey.
- Garlic: Our first flavoring will be 2 cloves of minced garlic.
- Onion: Then, 1/2 of a yellow onion will be used to add flavor, texture, and even juiciness.
- Oregano: Continue the spice lineup with 1 tsp of dried oregano.
- Salt & Pepper: Finally, include 1/2 tsp of salt and pepper (each).
Tools needed to create this recipe
When I say this is an easy turkey burger recipe, I mean it! The simplicity extends to the tools that are required. You’ll need only 4 main items to make this dish, along with 2 measuring cups!
How to make simple turkey burgers
5 minutes is all it takes to prep these delicious burgers. Can you believe it?! Just mix, shape, and sear. Total cook time for the patties is about 10 minutes, which means dinner is served in only 15!
First, combine the turkey and garlic in a bowl.
Next comes a key step — use a box grater and grate the onion over the bowl, letting it fall directly into the turkey and garlic mixture. This method creates juicer burgers because all of the onion juice goes into the mix.
Add the oregano, salt, and pepper. Use you hands to mix everything together.
Next, form the mix into patties, using 1/5 of the meat for each one. You can use more or less if you prefer different sized patties, noting that they will shrink when cooked.
Cook for 5 minutes, flip, and then turn the heat to medium-low. Cover for 5 minutes to let the inside cook. Repeat until all of the burgers are cooked.
Finally, serve with onion, tomato, buns, or over lettuce.
Easy turkey burger toppings
How do you like to serve up your burgers? I keep it simple with onion, tomato, and my favorite fluffy buns.
Additional options include thick cheddar or pepper jack cheese, pickles (of course!), avocado, and even bacon!
Carb-free option: Serve your burger totally carb-free by enjoying it on a lettuce “bun” with the previously mentioned onion, lettuce, and pickles. Add a little bit of your favorite sauce, and enjoy!
Turkey vs. beef
There are loads of benefits to choosing turkey burgers, one of which is the amazing flavor! But, the benefits also extend into the health realm, as turkey burgers are notoriously more nutritious than standard beef burgers.
For starters, turkey is a much leaner protein and contains less saturated fat. This right away makes it ideal when looking for the healthiest option. It’s also lower calorie and does a great job of keeping you fuller for longer!
If you liked this recipe, you’ll want to try these!
Now that you know why turkey rules, here are some more yummy meals that feature it as the main protein! Try the chili — it’s definitely a top favorite (I’d even say it’s just as good as simple turkey burgers).
Recipe by Erin Morrissey and Photos by Quarter Soul Crisis
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- In a bowl, combine turkey, garlic, and use a grater to shred onion into burger. This is a key step for creating juicy burgers. I use a box grater and finely grate the onion over the meat so all the juice goes in.
- Add oregano, salt, and pepper. Use your hands to mix!
- Form into patties, using 1/5 of the total meat depending on size you want. They will shrink once cooked.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet with 2 tbsp avocado oil over medium heat, and once hot, add burgers.
- Cook for 5 minutes, flip, then turn the heat to medium low. Cover for the next 5 minutes so the inside cooks. Repeat until all burgers are cooked.
- Serve with onion, tomato, buns, or over lettuce! Enjoy!
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂