Dig in and enjoy the most delicious BBQ Turkey Meatloaf made with everything you love, like onion, garlic, parsley, ketchup, and BBQ sauce!
The ultimate bbq turkey meatloaf recipe
Today we’re making a meatloaf. But, it’s not just any meatloaf… it’s a turkey meatloaf flavored with ketchup and bbq sauce!
This delicious recipe is one of my favorites. It’s made with typical meatloaf ingredients like onion, garlic, egg, and flour, but the bbq sauce adds a totally different element that tastes delicious alongside the other items.
It’s the perfect summertime weekend recipe that you can enjoy with your favorite summery sides like watermelon feta salad or classic french fries!
Ingredients in bbq turkey meatloaf
To make this barbecue turkey meatloaf, we’ll be using a mix of seasonings, sauces, onion, and an egg. A bit of almond flour will help the ingredients all stick together!
- Ground turkey: Start with the ground turkey. You’ll need 1.5 lbs, and I recommend using a 93/7 fat ratio blend or higher to achieve a moist meatloaf.
- Yellow onion: To get a delicious onion flavor, use 1 small yellow onion.
- Garlic: Add flavor with 2 cloves of minced garlic. Alternately, use 1/2 tsp of garlic powder.
- Seasonings: For seasonings, use 1 tsp each of salt, pepper, dried oregano, and onion powder.
- Egg: Next, 1 egg will help the ingredients bind together.
- BBQ sauce: As for the sauce, include 2 tbsp in the meatloaf. We’ll be using some additional bbq sauce for the top!
- Ketchup: Do the same with 2 tbsp of ketchup.
- Almond flour: Include 1/2 cup of almond flour for texture.
- Parsley: Last but not least, finish up the meatloaf mix with 1/4 cup of chopped parsley!
For the meatloaf topping, use a combination of 1/2 cup of bbq sauce and 1/2 cup ketchup.
Kitchen tools needed to make this recipe
This barbecue turkey meatloaf keeps things pretty simple as far as kitchen items are concerned! You will need a baking sheet, parchment paper, a grater, a large mixing bowl, a small mixing bowl, and a food brush (or you can just use a spoon). If you wish, you can chop your onion rather than grating it.
To measure ingredients, you will need 1 tsp, 1 tbsp, 1/4 cup, and 1/2 cup.
How to make turkey meatloaf with bbq sauce
This recipe keeps things pretty easy. Essentially, all you have to do is combine the ingredients in a bowl, form into a loaf, and top with the bbq and ketchup mixture! Here’s a full step-by-step:
To begin, preheat the oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Add the ground turkey to a large mixing bowl and then use a grater to grate the yellow onion into the turkey. Alternatively, you can chop the onion into very small pieces.
Next, add the minced garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, and onion powder. Stir until everything is combined, optionally using your hands to easily mix.
Add the egg, bbq sauce, ketchup, almond flour, and parsley. Mix until well combined.
Place the turkey mixture onto the parchment-lined baking sheet. Form into a loaf that’s about 9×5 inches. Pat the loaf together to keep it intact.
In a small mixing bowl, combine the bbq sauce and the ketchup to use as the sauce for the topping. Brush the sauce over the top of the turkey loaf.
Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 170°F. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Though beef is the standard for most meatloaf recipes, I like to use turkey every once in a while! Doing so creates a meatloaf with a lower fat content, and the turkey tastes delicious when combined with the bbq sauce.
I also snuck some extra nutrients into the dish by using almond flour in place of all-purpose flour!
If you liked this recipe, you’ll want to try these!
Here are some more delicious turkey-based meals to try!
- Oven Baked Turkey Tacos
- Easy Twice-Baked Potatoes with BBQ Turkey
- Healthy Turkey Enchiladas
- Buffalo Turkey Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Recipe by Erin Morrissey and Photos by The Mindful Hapa
- 1.5 lbs ground turkey (93/7 blend or higher fat ratio for moist meatloaf!)
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp bbq sauce
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup bbq sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- Preheat oven to 375F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, add the ground turkey. Using a grater, grate the yellow onion into the ground turkey. Alternatively, chop onion really small and add to turkey.
- Add in minced garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, onion powder. Stir until combined, or use your hands to mix.
- Add in 1 egg, bbq sauce, ketchup, almond flour, and parsley. Mix until well combined.
- Pour turkey onto parchment lined baking sheet. Form into a loaf about 9×5. Pat together to keep in tact.
- In a small bowl, mix together bbq sauce and ketchup. Brush over top of the turkey mixture.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 170F. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂