Enjoy the flavors of perfectly crunchy Oven Baked Turkey Tacos with this delicious and easy-to-make recipe. The tacos feature everything you love like tomatoes, chiles, cheese, and onion!
The most delicious ground turkey tacos
Chicken tacos, beef tacos, chorizo tacos… if it has “tacos” in the name, it’s likely a winner in my book! But sometimes, I want tacos in a healthier style made with all of the delicious flavor but fewer unnecessary additions. That’s where these come in!
These oven baked turkey tacos are a delicious, healthy meal option made with all of the toppings we love: onion, tomatoes, and cheese, to name a few. Ground turkey is used as a low-fat meat choice, and each individual taco is assembled and baked (shell included!) for a unique approach to the dinner classic.
Ingredients in oven baked turkey tacos
Each ingredient in ground turkey tacos is used to add flavor and great texture. In addition to these, I sometimes add lettuce (after baking) to include a bit of extra crunch!
- Taco shells: Start with 12 hard taco shells. We’ll be adding all of the fillings and assembling each one before baking!
- Avcado oil: 2 tbsp of avocado oil will be used to sauté the onion.
- Onion: Use 1/2 of a small yellow onion, and dice it into small pieces.
- Turkey: For the meat, 1 lb of ground turkey will be plenty for filling all 12 taco shells.
- Taco seasoning: Add flavor to the dish with 1 packet of taco seasoning.
- Diced tomatoes: 1 14oz can of drained diced tomatoes will add a delicious flavor.
- Green chiles: For added flavor and a dash of heat, include 1 4oz can of green chiles (drained).
- Refried beans: 1 14oz can of refried beans will add bulk and extra protein to the tacos.
- Cheddar: Add cheesienss with 1 cup of shredded cheddar.
- Cilantro: Last but not least, garnish the tacos with fresh cilantro before enjoying.
Kitchen tools required to make this recipe
You will need 5 main kitchen tools to prepare this turkey taco recipe. Before starting, grab a cutting board, chopping knife, baking dish, large pan, and a spatula. For measuring you will need 1 tablespoon and 1 cup.
How to make this turkey taco recipe
These are made a bit differently than regular tacos. Rather than preparing the fillings and assembling before enjoying, we’ll assemble each shell and pop them in the oven for added crunchiness and flavor!
To begin, preheat the oven to 400°F and grease a 9×13 baking dish.
Lay the taco shells upright in the baking dish and bake for 6 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large pan. Once hot, add the diced onions.
After about 2-3 minutes when the onions start to soften, add the ground turkey. Cook until no longer pink.
Reduce the heat to medium and add the taco seasoning, diced tomatoes, and green chiles. Stir until well combined. Cook for 4 more minutes, and then turn off the heat.
Add 2 tbsp of the refried beans to the bottom of each taco shell. Layer the meat mixture on top of the beans, using up all of the meat across the 12 shells.
Sit the shells upright in the baking dish and top with cheese.
Bake for 8 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro before serving.
Additional taco toppings
The world of tacos is large, and there are so many toppings you can include! Try out some of these ideas, either baked into the tacos or sprinkled on top at the end.
- Diced jalapeno
- Diced green pepper
- Black beans
- Red onion (for a more potent flavor if preferred)
- Lime rice
- Cotija cheese (add after baking)
- Sour cream (add after baking)
Storing and reheating
Leftover turkey tacos can be stored in an airtight container and refrigerated for 1-2 days.
Because turkey tacos are pre-assembled they are best enjoyed immediately after preparing. However, the leftovers are certainly still delicious! I recommend reheating in an air fryer or oven. An air fryer is going to result in a crispier taco!
If you liked this recipe, you’ll want to try these!
If you’re like me, you can never have too many tacos! Try these tempeh tacos, or go for something similar yet different with taco dip, enchiladas, or salsa!
Recipe by Erin Morrissey and Photos by The Mindful Hapa
Oven Baked Turkey Tacos
Enjoy the flavors of perfectly crunchy Oven Baked Turkey Tacos with this delicious and easy-to-make recipe. The tacos feature everything you love, like tomatoes, chiles, cheese, and onion!
- 12 hard taco shells
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion, diced
- 1lb ground turkey
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 14oz can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 4oz can green chiles, drained
- 1 14oz can refried beans
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- cilantro for topping
- Preheat oven to 400F and grease a 9×13 baking dish
- Lay 12 taco shells upright in baking dish and bake for 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Once hot, add diced onions.
- After about 2-3 minutes once onions start to soften, add in ground turkey. Cook until no longer pink.
- Reduce heat to medium and add in taco seasoning, diced tomatoes, and green chiles. Stir until well combined. Cook for 4 minutes then turn off heat.
- Add 2 tbsp of refried beans to the bottom of each taco shell. Then stuff the shells full with the meat mixture, using up all of the meat on the 12 shells.
- Sit the shells upright in the baking dish, then top with cheese.
- Bake for 8 minutes, and then sprinkle with cilantro for serving.
These are best eaten day of, but can be reheated in an airfryer or oven.
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂
Leave a Comment