Enjoy a twist on classic chicken parm with this Baked Chicken Parmesan Meatballs recipe! Perfect over a bed of spaghetti or as an appetizer on game day.
The most delicious chicken parm meatballs
I don’t know about you, but chicken parmesan has always been a favorite of mine. It’s one of those simple recipes that requires only a handful of ingredients but creates a totally delicious result! After having it a good number of times (meaning, a lot of times), I decided it was time for something new.
Hello, baked chicken parmesan meatballs!
These are essentially little meatball-shaped chicken parmesan bites. They’re made with classic chicken parm ingredients like mozzarella and marina sauce to maintain the flavors that we all love. Top ’em with a bit of extra parmesan cheese, and oh boy. These things are delicious!
Chicken parm meatballs are great over a bed of pasta for a twist on spaghetti and meatballs night. They’re also perfect as an appetizer on game day!
Ingredients in baked chicken parmesan meatballs
This baked chicken meatball recipe consists of chicken, egg, almond flour, spices, and loads of cheese. Oh, and marinara sauce. It’s a delicious combo, to say the least! Is your mouth watering yet?
- Chicken: Start with 1 lb of your favorite ground chicken.
- Egg: 1 egg will be used to create the meatball base and will help us achieve the right texture.
- Almond flour: We will use 1/2 cup of almond flour. This helps the ingredients bind together and thickens up the meatballs.
- Parmesan: 1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese will be added for flavor.
- Spices: When it comes to spices, add 3 cloves of minced garlic, 1 tsp of onion powder, 1/2 tsp of salt, and 1/2 tsp of pepper.
- Marinara sauce: To give the meatballs that classic chicken parm taste, use 2 cups of your favorite jarred marina sauce.
- Mozzarella: Increase the cheesiness with 1 cup of shredded mozzarella. This is the magic ingredient for making them true chicken parm meatballs!
- Parmesan: Last but not least, finish off the meatballs with an additional 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese.
Tools used to create this recipe
To create these meatballs from scratch you will need a large mixing bowl, a stirring utensil, and a cooking brush. You will also need a dish to bake the meatballs and can use a cast-iron skillet, regular glass baking dish, or a sauté pan.
To measure out ingredients you will need 1/2 tsp, 1 tsp, 1/4 cup, and 1/2 cup.
How to make baked chicken meatballs
We’ll make these meatballs like any other meatball recipe. It begins by combining the meat mixture, and then we’ll shape the mix into balls before adding marinara and cheese and letting them cook in the oven.
To begin, preheat the oven to 400°F.
Pour 1 cup of the marinara sauce into the bottom of your cooking dish. I used a cast-iron skillet, but you can also use a baking dish or sauté pan.
Place the meatballs in the dish on top of the sauce, and then pour the remaining 1 cup of sauce over the meatballs. Brush it around to neatly coat the tops. Then, sprinkle on the mozzarella cheese and the remaining 1/4 cup of parmesan.
Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the inside of the meatballs reach 165°F.
More of a turkey person? Good news! You can easily replace the ground chicken with ground turkey. Ground beef would likely work just as well too!
Want more flavor? Additional seasonings can be used to spice things up a bit. Try parsley and oregano, and feel free to use garlic powder if you don’t have fresh cloves available. You can also add some heat with red pepper flakes!
Here’s a quick tip for you! After sprinkling on that last layer of parmesan cheese (step 5), give the meatballs a few minutes under the broiler. This will help the parmesan reach a delicious and crispy golden brown color!
If you’re interested in freezing your chicken parm meatballs for later, simply prep and stop after step 2. Place the meatballs on a pan or baking sheet and freeze. Once frozen, remove from the pan, add to your preferred container or freezer bag, and freeze!
When ready to enjoy, let thaw before adding to a pan with marinara sauce and baking as directed.
If you liked this recipe, you’ll want to try these!
Meatballs are always a good idea. They’re great as an appetizer, an hor d’oeuvre, or even as a main course! Here are some more tasty meatball variations to try.
- Healthy Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
- Easy Turkey Meatballs (Gluten-Free)
- Healthier Sweet and Sour Meatballs
- Thai Turkey Meatballs with Peanut Sauce
Recipe by Erin Morrissey and Photography by Moriah Sawtelle
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 cups marinara sauce (from a jar)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a large bowl, mix together chicken, egg, almond flour, parmesan cheese, garlic, onion powder, salt, and pepper by hand. Roll into meatballs.
- Pour 1 cup marinara sauce into bottom of dish. I used a cast iron skillet but you can also use a baking dish or saute pan.
- Place meatballs in baking dish on top of sauce. Pour remaining 1 cup marinara on top, brush on meatballs. Sprinkle with remaining parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until inside reads 165F. Serve!
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂