Give your regular lasagna recipe an upgrade with this Veggie Skillet Lasagna. It’s a vegetarian-friendly dish made with classic lasagna ingredients and Pennsylvania Dutch Egg Noodles!
The ultimate veggie lasagna… with a twist
If you search “best lasagna recipe,” you’ll find a bunch of recipes claiming to be The Best Lasagna of All Time. But, let me be clear. Those people likely haven’t tried this veggie skillet lasagna!
Okay, I may be biased. But I (and my family that has tried this) do think that this recipe is pretty darn good! It’s made with all of the classic lasagna ingredients, but with a twist.
First, it’s made in a dutch oven and skillet, which is different from classic lasagna that’s made similarly to a casserole.
Second, we’re switching things up even further by skipping regular lasagna noodles and replacing them with Pennsylvania Dutch Egg Noodles! It’s an interesting twist that makes for a tasty result. The noodles compliment the slight crunch of the veggies and the flavor of the marinara and cheeses just perfectly.
Ingredients in this veggie skillet lasagna
This lasagna features all of your favorite ingredients: marinara, ricotta, and mozzarella! To make things a bit healthier and veggie-filled, we’re adding in onion, zucchini, red bell pepper, carrots, and spinach.
- Avocado oil: We’ll kick things off with 2 tbsp of avocado oil to sauté the onion, zucchini, pepper, and carrots.
- White onion: For the onion, you will need 1 whole onion (a small size is fine), diced.
- Zucchini: Dice up 1 zucchini. Any size is fine.
- Red pepper: Do the same with 1 red bell pepper.
- Carrots: Finally for the veggies, dice up 3 carrot sticks.
- Garlic: We have to have garlic! Add 3 cloves, minced for just the right taste.
- Seasonings: Next, add flavor with four seasonings: 1 tsp of oregano, 1 tsp of basil, 1 tsp of salt, and 1/2 tsp of pepper.
- Marinara sauce: As for the sauce, use 1 24oz jar of your favorite marinara.
- Water: Thicken up the recipe by adding 3.5 cups of water. It seems like a lot, but this will wind up cooking off and being absorbed by the ingredients.
- Egg noodles: Finally, add the noodles! For this recipe we’re using 1 bag of Pennsylvania Dutch Egg Noodles. It’s a new take on lasagna and a change that makes an incredible difference!
- Ricotta cheese: Add cheesy flavor with 1 cup of ricotta.
- Spinach: Throw in the greens by using a full bag of spinach.
- Mozzarella: Use 1 cup of shredded mozzarella for adding that delicious cheesy layer near the end of the cooking process.
- Basil: Finish off with a handful of fresh basil!
A recipe complete with Pennsylvania Dutch Noodles
This lasagna recipe changes the game. Rather than using typical “lasagna” shaped noodles, (you know, the big flat rectangle kind), we’re using egg noodles!
But, not just any egg noodles. For the best flavor, texture, and ingredients, we’re using Pennsylvania Dutch Egg Noodles!
I chose to use these in this skillet lasagna for multiple reasons. First, Pennsylvania Dutch’s noodles are made with all natural ingredients. They’re 100% Durum wheat and egg, which means they don’t contain artificial sweeteners or flavors! As someone who makes recipes as healthy as possible, that is huge for me.
Second, thanks to the way these noodles are made, they’re perfect for adding into comfort meals like this lasagna. The company has been around for 100 years, so it’s safe to say they’ve been able to perfect their recipe!
Pennsylvania Dutch encourages people to get creative by using their different noodle varieties and shapes in new and fun recipes. That’s exactly what we’re doing by using their egg noodles in this lasagna!
You can find Pennsylvania Dutch at major retailers like Walmart, Wegmans, Kroger, Wakefern, Albertsons, Weis, and more. I can’t wait to hear how much you loved using their noodles in your own skillet lasagna!
Tools needed to make this veggie lasagna skillet
This recipe includes a pretty simple list of required kitchen tools. You will need a cutting board and chopping knife, a large dutch oven or saucepan and its accompanying lid, a stirring utensil, and a skillet or large sauté pan.
Required measuring cups include 1/2 tsp, 1 tsp, 1 tbsp, 1/2 cup, and 1 cup.
How to make this vegetarian skillet lasagna recipe
This cooking method feels easier than regular lasagna, as you don’t have to carefully layer the cooked noodles and marina. Instead, we’ll start by cooking the veggies, and then we’ll throw everything into a dutch oven to simmer before cooking in the oven.
To begin, preheat the oven to 350°F.
Heat the avocado oil in a large dutch oven or saucepan.
Add the onion, zucchini, pepper, and carrots. Sauté for 6-8 minutes or until the veggies are soft.
Then, add the garlic, oregano, basil, salt, and pepper and cook for another minute.
Pour in the marinara sauce and water and bring everything to a boil.
Add the Pennsylvania Dutch Noodles. Mix well and stir occasionally. Cook for 10-12 minutes or until the liquid has absorbed.
Turn off the heat and stir in the ricotta cheese.
Add the bag of spinach and mix. It will take a few minutes for it to wilt down.
Pour the mix into a cast iron skillet or a large sauté pan. Top with the mozzarella cheese.
Bake the pan for 20 minutes. Once out of the oven, top with basil and let cook for 10 minutes before serving.
With lasagna, there are a lot of ingredients that you can mix and match, which is especially true in the veggie department.
- White onion: First up, you can use red or yellow onion in place of white.
- Zucchini: If you’re out of zucchini, you can skip it, use a second pepper in its place, or throw in a yellow squash.
- Red pepper: Red pepper is delicious in this recipe, but any pepper will work whether yellow, orange, or green!
- Carrots: If you don’t have any carrots, you can omit them or double up on one of the other veggies.
If you liked this recipe, you’ll want to try these!
Amp up the coziness with some more delicious and savory pasta meals.
- Pasta with Creamy Vegan Walnut-Tomato Sauce
- Healthy Taco Pasta
- One Pot Chicken Parmesan Pasta
- Creamy Vegan Pumpkin Pasta Recipe
- 1 bag Pennsylvania Dutch Egg Noodles
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 24oz jar marinara sauce
- 3.5 cups water
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 bag spinach
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large dutch oven or saucepan, heat avocado oil.
- Add in onion, zucchini, pepper, and carrots. Saute 6-8 minutes or until veggies have softened.
- Add in garlic, oregano, basil, salt, and pepper and cook another minute.
- Pour in marinara sauce and water. Bring to a boil.
- Add in Pennsylvania Dutch Noodles. Mix well and stir occasionally. Cook 10-12 minutes or until liquid has absorbed.
- Turn off heat. Stir in ricotta cheese.
- Add bag of spinach and mix, it will take a few minutes to wilt down.
- Pour into a cast iron skillet or a large saute pan. Top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake 20 minutes. Top with basil. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂