One Pot Chicken Parmesan Pasta is the meal you didn’t know you needed. Made with loads of flavorful ingredients (creamy sauce and extra cheese included), this is a recipe for the books.
The chicken parm pasta of your dreams
Have you ever had a restaurant’s chicken parmesan and found yourself wishing you could replicate it at home? Well, this chicken parmesan pasta recipe exceeds the gourmet restaurant level and is pretty much guaranteed to become your new favorite. Plus, it’s easy to make.
Between the onions, the spices, the tomato sauce, and the cheese, this delicious meal is sure to be a hit with everyone. It’s perfect for second-day leftovers too!
Oh, and I can’t forget to mention… this is a one pot recipe! So make an ingredient list, hit the store, and then head back home to whip this together. You’re going to be so happy that you did!
Ingredients in one pot chicken parm
This recipe is all about the flavor! To keep it as simple as possible you can look at it in two parts: the chicken, and then everything else! The chicken portion takes up the most spices, with Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper all making appearances to help us reach the flavor that we’re going for.
Following that, we bring everything together by cooking the veggies and noodles and then adding the final touches.
- Chicken breasts: First up, you’ll need 3 large chicken breasts cut into small cubes.
- Avocado oil: We’ll be using avocado oil both for cooking the chicken and for sautéing the vegetables. You’ll need 2 tbsp for the chicken.
- Italian seasoning: Our first spice for this dish, 1 tbsp of Italian seasoning will help the chicken obtain a rich flavor.
- Garlic powder: Throw in 1 tsp of garlic powder for good measure. You can add more if you’d like.
- Onion powder: Next up, add 1 tsp of onion powder.
- Salt & Pepper: As for the salt and pepper, use 1 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp of pepper.
- Avocado oil: For the second portion of avocado oil, you’ll need 1 tbsp.
- Yellow onion: Dice up 1 small yellow onion. We will be sautéing it with the avocado oil.
- Garlic: As for garlic, use 3 minced cloves.
- Pasta: Next, use 16oz of your favorite pasta. I used brown rice pasta.
- Tomato sauce: To get the classic chicken parmesan taste, use 2.5 cups of jarred tomato sauce.
- Chicken broth: 3.5 cups of chicken broth will be used to cook the noodles.
- Parmesan cheese: You can’t have chicken parm without the parm! We will use 1/2 cup.
- Mozzarella cheese: Set aside 1.5 cups of shredded mozzarella for obvious reasons.
- Parsley: Finally, we will be using fresh parsley as a garnish.
Everything you need to prepare this dish
Say it with me, folks: one pot. Is there anything better than a one pot dinner recipe? I personally don’t think so. It keeps things simple and it makes cleanup that much less dreadful! For this recipe, just gather your prepping tools, a skillet, and a stirring utensil, and you’re ready to dive in.
- Cutting board
- Chopping knife
- Large skillet or dutch oven
- Stirring utensil
For measuring, you will need the following sized cups: 1/2 tsp, 1 tsp, 1 tbsp, 1/2 cup, and 1 cup.
How to make one pot chicken parmesan pasta
Though the ingredients are lengthy, one pot chicken parmesan pasta is a pretty easy recipe. We’ll start by cooking the chicken, and then we’ll add the spices before moving on to cooking the veggies and the pasta. In total, you’ll need about 40 minutes to fully prepare everything.
To begin, heat 2 tbsp of avocado oil in a large skillet or dutch oven. Once it’s heated, add the chicken.
Next, add the Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper to the chicken and cook for 5-7 minutes (or until the chicken is no longer pink).
Remove the chicken from the pan and set it aside on a plate.
Add the remaining 1 tbsp of avocado oil to the pan, and then add the onions and garlic. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until softened.
Add the uncooked pasta, tomato sauce, and chicken broth, and then cover and bring everything to a boil.
Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until all of the liquid has been absorbed. Be sure to stir occasionally. The mixture will continue to thicken once the heat is off.
Stir in 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese.
Once on the serving dish, pour the parmesan and the reminder of the mozzarella on top. Finish by sprinkling with fresh parsley.
Pairing options for chicken parm
When it comes to this recipe, you can pretty much use anything for a side. Salad, veggies, etc. — it all works. Garlic Sesame Green Beans and Maple Balsamic Brussels Sprouts are fantastic options, as are Cranberry Quinoa Salad and Zucchini Noodle Caprese Salad!
Ready to store your leftovers? It’s easy! You can keep them in either the fridge or freezer depending on when you plan to use them.
Freezer: If freezing, I recommend freezing the chicken separately from everything else. It’s also best to omit the cheese if freezing, and just add fresh before serving. Enjoy within 3-4 months.
Refrigerator: You can store chicken parmesan in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. For this method, it’s okay to store everything together in one container — just be sure it’s securely sealed! I recommend reheating in the oven.
If you liked this recipe, you’ll want to try these!
Chicken recipes are the best. They’re just so versatile! You can flavor it so many different ways, and it works in salads, casseroles, soups… the list goes on. Here are some of my favorite ways to use it, and yes Healthy Chicken Nuggets are included!
- Healthy Chicken Nuggets (Baked and Air Fried)
- Buffalo Chicken Sweet Potato Casserole
- Easy White Chicken Chili Recipe (Stovetop or Crockpot)
- One Pan Honey Mustard Chicken Dinner
Recipe by Erin Morrissey and Photos by Quarter Soul Crisis
- 3 large raw chicken breasts, cut into small cubes.
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 oz brown rice pasta
- 2.5 cups jarred tomato sauce (Rao’s, Victoria, etc)
- 3.5 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1.5 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- In a large skillet or dutch oven, heat oil. Once heated, add chicken.
- Add Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper to the chicken and cook for 5-7 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.
- Remove chicken from pan and set aside on plate for now.
- Add 1 tbsp oil to pan. Add in onions and garlic and cook for 4-5 minutes or until softened.
- Add in uncooked pasta, tomato sauce, and chicken broth and cover, then bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to medium and cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until all liquid is absorbed. The mixture will continue to thicken once heat is off.
- Once thickened, stir in the cooked chicken and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Turn off heat.
- Pour the rest of the mozzarella cheese on top, in addition to the parmesan. It will melt as it cools.
- Sprinkle fresh parsley on top.
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂