Buffalo Chicken Sweet Potato Casserole is a healthy and satisfying dish that’s made using broccoli, onions, bacon, and more. This delicious recipe requires just 10 minutes of prep time!
The best potato casserole recipe
I love a good casserole. I couldn’t always say that, as I grew up totally hating the idea of a one-dish meal. My food… touching? Nope!
Thankfully, I eventually got over that and realized just how wonderful casseroles can be. They’re easy, quick, and totally awesome for feeding a bunch of people. Plus, they taste fantastic!
This buffalo chicken sweet potato casserole is no different. Right away, it became a top favorite in my household and will without a doubt be a regular on our kitchen table. It’s sweet but also savory, and it’s without a doubt incredibly filling.
Next time you’re in the mood for a chicken casserole recipe, chicken sweet potato casserole is a must. With a little bit of buffalo sauce, this dish has a nice kick that’s perfect for anyone who likes spiciness, but not overwhelming to those who don’t.
Ingredients needed to make this chicken casserole
Buffalo chicken sweet potato casserole is made with more than just chicken and sweet potatoes. It includes broccoli, cheese, turkey bacon, and a variety of spices and sauces! Here is a list of everything you’ll need:
- Chicken breasts
- Sweet potatoes
- Buffalo sauce
- Avocado or olive oil
- Cheddar cheese
- Green onion
- Turkey bacon
Kitchen tools used to make sweet potato casserole
There aren’t many kitchen tools that are needed to create this dish. In total, you’ll only need a casserole dish, cutting board, chopping knife, and two mixing bowls! A 9×13 casserole dish will work perfectly for this recipe, but any size is doable. At least one of your mixing bowls should be large enough to easily stir and toss ingredients.
As far as ingredient amounts go, it will be helpful to have the following measurement tools: 1/4 cup, 1/3 cup, 1/2 cup, 1 cup, and 1 tsp.
How to make buffalo chicken sweet potato casserole
This is one of my favorite chicken casserole recipes, and not just because it tastes great! The recipe is foolproof and doesn’t require any extensive prepping. In fact, you’ll only need about 10 minutes! After that, throw it in the oven. In just 50 minutes, you’ll have a warm, delicious, satisfying casserole. This recipe yields 8 servings.
To start making this chicken casserole recipe, preheat the oven to 425F and grease a 9×13 casserole dish.
Prepare your chicken, potatoes, and broccoli by cutting them into small, 1 inch pieces.
In a small bowl, mix the buffalo sauce, avocado oil, salt, pepper, and garlic.
Then, in a large bowl, add your sweet potatoes and half of the buffalo sauce mixture. Toss until well-combined.
Pour the sweet potatoes into the casserole dish and roast for 30 minutes, flipping half way through.
While the potatoes are baking, add the chicken and broccoli to the bowl the sweet potatoes were in. Add the remainder of the buffalo sauce and toss to coat completely.
After the potatoes have baked for 30 minutes, add the broccoli and chicken on top.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165F.
Remove the dish from the oven and top with cheese, green onion, and cooked bacon. Place back in the oven for five more minutes or until the cheese has melted.
Let cool for a few minutes. Finally, add any remaining toppings like ranch or blue cheese, and enjoy!
Casserole cooking tips
To make your casserole the best that it can be, here are a few tips that you may find helpful.
Preparing the chicken breasts
I recommend using about 2 lbs of chicken breasts for this recipe. That will amount to about 3 large breasts. Cut into 1 inch cubes.
Dicing the potatoes
Dice the sweet potatoes into 1 inch cubes, and nothing larger. This size will allow the potatoes to cook thoroughly and get nice and crispy! You can leave the skin on or take it off. I personally like to leave it on!
How to store leftover casserole
Any leftover casserole can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. If you’d like, you can freeze this recipe in an airtight container or freezer bag.
How to make vegan-friendly buffalo chicken sweet potato casserole
Making a vegan-friendly buffalo chicken casserole is so easy. In this recipe, there are two non-vegan ingredients: The chicken and the bacon. You can opt to simply omit these ingredients, or you can use plant-based alternatives.
If you go with the latter and use plant-based chicken, be sure to review the cooking instructions for that specific brand. You most likely will not need to bake it for 25 minutes.
When using plant-based bacon, cook as directed per the brand’s packaging, and sprinkle on top of the fully cooked casserole.
Try these delicious casserole dishes next!
If you loved this buffalo chicken sweet potato casserole, you’re sure to enjoy these options too. They’re satisfying, filling, and simple to prepare!
- Mexican Quinoa Casserole
- Healthier Sweet Potato Casserole (Vegetarian)
- Healthier Apple Sausage Stuffing
Recipe by Erin Morrissey + Photos by The Mindful Hapa.
- 2 lbs boneless chicken breasts (about 3 large breasts), cut into cubes.
- 5 medium sweet potatoes, cut into small cubes. You can leave the skin on or take it off.
- 2 heads broccoli, cut into small florets.
- 1 cup buffalo sauce, I used New Primal but Franks would be good here.
- 1/2 cup avocado oil or olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup cooked turkey bacon
- drizzle of ranch
- Preheat oven to 425F and grease 9×13 casserole dish.
- Prepare your chicken, potatoes, and broccoli by cutting to smaller pieces.
- In a small bowl, mix together buffalo sauce, avocado oil, salt, pepper, and garlic.
- In a large bowl, add your sweet potatoes and half of the buffalo sauce mixture. Toss till combined well.
- Pour sweet potatoes into casserole dish and roast for 30 minutes, flipping half way through.
- Add chicken and broccoli to bowl sweet potatoes were in and add remainder of buffalo sauce. Toss to coat completely.
- After 30 minutes is up, add broccoli and chicken to top of sweet potatoes.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until chicken reaches internal temperature of 165F.
- Take out, top with cheese, green onion, and cooked bacon and place back in oven for five more minutes or until cheese has melted.
- Let cool a few moments before serving. Add any remaining toppings like ranch or blue cheese.
Store in fridge for up to 5 days or freezer for longer.
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂