Spice up your pasta salad (literally) with delicious and creamy Buffalo Chickpea Pasta Salad! This unique combo of ingredients and flavors will totally satisfy your craving for something savory.
The best buffalo pasta salad
Want to add a little something to your pasta salad? A little spice? This is how.
Today, we’re creating a delicious, huge bowl of buffalo chickpea pasta salad. Yep, we’re skipping the common buffalo sauce pairing – chicken – and using chickpeas in its place! The chickpeas provide both a crunch and a long list of nutrients like potassium, iron, and fiber, to name a few!
To get a rich and creamy flavor, we’re combining the buffalo sauce and chickpeas with a selection of veggies as well as some mozzarella cheese and ranch dressing.
It’s truly a flavor party in a bowl. Let’s dive in!
Ingredients in buffalo chickpea pasta salad
To make this buffalo pasta salad recipe, you will need the following 9 ingredients:
- Brown rice noodles: Start with 1 16oz bag of brown rice noodles, or use a pasta of your choice!
- Chickpeas: You will need 1 15oz can of chickpeas.
- Buffalo sauce: Next, divide 1 cup of buffalo sauce for using at two points throughout the recipe. My favorites are Primal Kitchen and Tessemaes.
- Celery: For veggies, start with 1 cup of diced celery.
- Cherry tomatoes: Next, include 1 pint of sliced cherry tomatoes.
- Carrots: Throw in 1 cup of diced carrots.
- Mozzarella: Add a bit of cheesiness with 1 cup of shredded mozzarella.
- Ranch: And then add some creaminess by throwing in 1 cup of ranch dressing.
- Green onion: Top if off with 1/2 cup of green onion!
Tools used to make chickpea and pasta salad
When it comes to cooking tools, you’ll only need a few items to make this salad. Start with a baking sheet and parchment paper, and then grab a large pot, strainer, and stirring utensil. For measuring, you need 1/2 cup and 1 cup.
How to make pasta salad with garbanzo beans
Chickpea pasta salad is just as simple to make as any other pasta salad. Though we’re adding chickpeas, they’re easily cooked by tossing on a baking sheet and baking for 30 minutes. Then, mix everything together and enjoy!
To begin, preheat the oven to 425ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Cook the noodles in a large pot according to the package directions. After cooking, drain and rinse the noodles with cold water and place them back in the pot.
Then, drain and rinse the chickpeas and then dry them completely. Add them to the baking sheet and toss them in 2 tbsp of buffalo sauce.
Bake for 30 minutes, and then let cool.
Assemble the salad by adding the celery, tomatoes, carrots, and cheese to the pot with the noodles.
Next, pour in the ranch dressing and the remainder of the buffalo sauce. Toss to coat everything completely.
Loosely mix in the chickpeas, or just add them to the top with the green onion.
Ingredient add-on options
When making pasta salad, you have a lot of options. Many alternative or additional ingredients will work, and there aren’t many that would take away from the dish! So, if you’re looking to add to your pasta, here are some ingredients you could include:
- Onion (any will work, but red would be delicious)
- Jalapeños (remove the seeds if you don’t like a lot of spice)
- Bell pepper
- Black olives
Storing buff chick pasta salad
Store pasta salad in an airtight container and keep it refrigerated. It should be enjoyed within about 3 days. Note that if left out at room temperature for more than 2 hours, the pasta should be discarded.
If you liked this recipe, you’ll want to try these!
Craving some more creamy pasta dishes? Here are some different flavor combos that totally take regular pasta to the next level.
- Healthy One Pot Pasta Recipe
- Pasta with Creamy Vegan Walnut-Tomato Sauce
- Summer Pesto Pasta Salad
- Creamy Vegan Pumpkin Pasta Recipe
Recipe by Erin Morrissey and Photos by The Mindful Hapa
- 1 16oz bag brown rice noodles (or pasta of choice)
- 1 15oz can chickpeas
- 1 cup buffalo sauce, divided (I like Primal Kitchen or Tessemaes)
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup ranch dressing
- 1/2 cup green onion
- Preheat oven to 425F and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large pot, cook noodles according to direction. Drain and rinse with cold water and place back in pot.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas. Dry completely. Add them to parchment lined baking sheet and toss them in 2 tbsp buffalo sauce.
- Bake chickpeas for 30 minutes. Let cool.
- Assemble salad by adding celery, tomatoes, carrots, and cheese to noodles.
- Pour in ranch and remainder of buffalo sauce. Toss to coat completely.
- Loosely mix in chickpeas, or just add to top along with green onion.
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂