Teleport back to warm summer days with Healthy Greek Pasta Salad. It’s the perfect side dish for a summer picnic or BBQ! Made with gluten-free pasta and a light vinaigrette.
Healthy Greek pasta salad has never tasted so good
Does pasta salad remind anyone else of enjoying summer barbecues, eating on paper plates, and letting the baked beans, ketchup, mustard, and hamburger run together? I don’t know if it’s just me, but summertime meals were always my favorite!
To this day, they still are. Classic summer meals take me back to the days of childhood when my family lived in our suburban neighborhood. We spent every weekend together eating dinner outside at someone’s house, playing in the backyard, and relaxing on the deck. I remember running around catching fireflies, swimming until dusk, and jumping out of the water when we heard the ice cream man! I can make my Grilled Veggie And Shrimp Orzo Salad too and be transported to a warm summer day even if I am wrapped in blankets.
Summers were the best and those memories will live me with forever. Among them is the memory of my mom’s classic Italian pasta salad. It was the perfect side dish to go with the burgers, hot dogs, baked beans, corn on the cob, and watermelon. I can vividly remember enjoying seconds on pretty much every occasion!
As summer quickly approaches, I wanted to create a delicious pasta salad that tastes as good as the one I remember, but with healthier ingredients. I’ve been on a Greek kick lately, so I found it only fitting to put together a healthy Greek pasta salad!
Ingredients used in this Greek salad recipe
In this recipe you’ll find classic pasta salad items like red peppers, cucumber, grape tomatoes, and olives! However, it’s the dill, feta, and red wine vinaigrette that truly set this dish apart.
For the salad itself, you’ll need:
- Gluten-free pasta (I used Ancient Harvest but you can use regular)
- Red pepper
- Red onion
- Grape tomatoes
- Fresh dill
- Feta (optional)
For the dressing, you need:
- Red wine vinegar
- Olive oil
- Onion powder
- Salt and pepper
Tools used to make homemade Greek salad
For this salad, you’ll need a pot for boiling the pasta, as well as a handful of other tools. Gather these items, and let’s dive in!
- Cooking pot
- Cutting board
- Chopping knife
- Small mixing bowl
- Large mixing bowl
- Stirring utensil
- Measuring cups: 1/4 tsp, 1/2 tsp, 1 tsp, 1 tbsp, 1/4 cup, 1/2 cup, 1 cup
How to make healthy Greek pasta salad
Pasta salad recipes tend to be simple to make, and this one is no different! Boil your pasta, prepare your veggies and mix-ins, and then create your dressing. That’s pretty much it!
To start, cook the pasta according to the box and drain.
Chop all of the veggies, and then combine them in a large bowl. Then, stir in the dill and feta.
In a separate bowl, whisk all of the dressing ingredients together.
Add the pasta to the veggies, then pour the dressing on top. Stir well to combine.
Serve and enjoy!
Substitution and add-on options
Whether you’re picky about the ingredients and need some substitution ideas or you’re wondering how you can add even more to this salad, there are a bunch of options for you!
- Gluten-free pasta: If you don’t follow a gluten-free diet, feel free to use your preferred type of regular pasta instead.
- Red bell peppers: Mix things up and use green, orange, or yellow bell peppers.
- Red onion: Red onion can be substituted with white, yellow, or whichever you choose.
- Olives: If you don’t like Kalamata olives, black olives will do the trick! Use the same amount (1 3.8oz can).
- Avocado: Add some healthy fat to your salad with avocado slices.
- Romaine lettuce: Want an extra crunch? Use romaine lettuce!
- Lemon juice: Add a dash of lemon juice for extra zest.
- Honey: For a sweet touch, honey is a great idea.
Greek salad storage
Greek salad can be kept in an airtight container for 3-5 days. Be sure to keep it refrigerated!
In my opinion, pasta salad always tastes richer the longer it sits. The second day is my favorite!
More delicious summertime meals to try
For more delicious summertime eats, I have you covered! Choose from those listed below or browse through my site for more yummy options. Enjoy!
- Zucchini Noodle Caprese Salad with Walnut Pesto
- Barbecue Chicken Spaghetti Squash Boats
- Avocado Corn Salad
- Healthy Apple Crisp
Recipe by Erin Morrissey and Photos by The Mindful Hapa
- 16 oz dry pasta, I used brown rice fusilli from Trader Joe’s
- 2 medium red bell peppers
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 small cucumber, diced (I used English for extra crisp)
- 1 pint sliced grape tomatoes
- 3.8oz can cup sliced olives
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 7 oz. crumbled feta
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Cook pasta according to box and drain.
- Chop all veggies, and then combine them all in a large bowl. Stir in dill and feta.
- In a separate bowl, whisk all dressing ingredients together.
- Add pasta to veggies, then pour dressing over top. Stir well to combine.
- Serve! Store in fridge.
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂