This healthy yellow cake is gluten free and made with almond flour, sweet potatoes, and nut butter and is moist and slightly sweet, making it a delicious and indulgent healthy treat.
Yellow cake with chocolate icing. I dare you to try and name a better birthday cake combination, but I quite frankly don’t think it exists. I was never a cake girl growing up, my mom always bought be a Carvel ice cream cake for my birthday (those crunchies!) UNLESS it was a yellow cake with chocolate frosting.
And it had to be homemade, because I couldn’t get down with store-bought cake. I guess I was a picky dessert girl, but I knew what I liked!
So when I posted my paleo chocolate cake with vegan frosting a few weeks back, I immediately knew I wanted to make a yellow cake version for Tom’s birthday because he too loves yellow cake with chocolate frosting.
In that recipe I used orange sweet potatoes, so I just swapped out the orange for white sweet potatoes and it turned out fantastic. The recipes to the two cakes are very similar, just no cocoa and no orange sweet potato, so I had a feeling it would turn out equally as good – well it did!
This cake is so moist, flavorful, and the only ‘flour’ used is almond flour making it completely paleo and grain free. If you haven’t made a paleo cake from scratch, don’t be intimidated! It’s actually quite easy!
Let me know if you guys make this cake, and be sure to try my Healthy Lemon Olive Oil Cake too (it is gluten free)!
- 1.5 cups almond flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup cooked + mashed white sweet potato (Japanese)
- 4 eggs, whisked
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup cashew butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350F and prepare by greasing two 9 inch cake pans.
- In a small bowl, mix almond flour, salt, and baking soda.
- In a larger bowl, whisk sweet potato with eggs until very well combined and smooth.
- Add in syrup, oil, cashew butter and vanilla. Beat until smooth.
- Add dry ingredients to wet, stirring until fully combined.
- Pour into greased pans.
- Bake at 350F for 21-23 min.
- My favorite trick for telling if it’s ready is to stick a toothpick in the center, if it comes out clean – they are ready.
- Let cool completely before icing.
- Use my recipe for vegan chocolate frosting to ice the cakes.
- Store on counter for 2-3 days or fridge for 5.
Please note that it may come out with some green specks in it, this is just the white sweet potato. Totally safe to eat.
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂