Cozy up with a delicious bowl of Creamy Vegan Pumpkin Pasta. Made with coconut milk, pumpkin purée, and fresh sage, it provides all of the warm and delightful flavors of the season. Eat atop your favorite noodles for an easy, filling meal.
Creamy vegan pumpkin pasta… the perfect fall recipe
What are your favorite meals to make in the fall? For me, anything warm and cozy goes, which means this creamy pumpkin pasta recipe perfectly fits the bill. The creamy sauce is made with coconut milk, pumpkin purée, onion, mushrooms, garlic, and fresh sage. It’s filled with so many intense flavors!
I love to whip this together and keep the extras for a fun second-day lunch. It’s one of those recipes to tastes extra yummy on day #2, so it’s perfect for that!
This versatile fall recipe is one that can be enjoyed for any occasion. Make it for a cozy dinner in, serve it up during a friendly get together, or use it as a featured dish this Thanksgiving for something different and unexpected. I guarantee that everyone who tries it will have rave reviews!
Ingredients included in creamy pumpkin pasta
Creamy pumpkin pasta gets its name from the delicious cream sauce. In addition to the sauce ingredients, the only item you need is your favorite box of pasta!
- Dried pasta (I use brown rice fusilli)
- Avocado oil
- Yellow onion
- Fresh sage
- Coconut milk
- Pumpkin purée
- Optional: Parmesan cheese
What you’ll need to create this recipe
When it comes to kitchen tools, this recipe keeps things pretty simple. You’ll need pots for cooking both the pasta and the sauce, as well as cutting supplies for prepping the onion and mushrooms.
- Pasta pot
- Cutting board
- Chopping knife
- Large sauce pan or dutch oven
- Mixing utensil
Additionally, grab measuring for these amounts: 1/8 tsp, 1/2 tsp, 1 tsp, 1 tbsp, 1/4 cup, and 1/2 cup.
How to make creamy vegan pumpkin pasta
Though it sounds (and tastes!) gourmet, creamy pumpkin pasta is just as easy to prepare as any other pasta recipe. You’ll start by boiling the noodles, and then you’ll prepare the creamy sauce by simply throwing everything into a pot!
To begin, prepare the pasta according to the package. Drain and set aside.
Then, in a large sauce pan or dutch oven, heat the avocado oil.
Add the onion, mushrooms, garlic, and sage. Sauté until the mushrooms and onions are cooked through.
Next, add the coconut milk and the pumpkin purée, and stir in all of the spices. Add more spices to taste if desired.
Pour the cooked pasta into the pan, and then stir until well combined. If adding cheese, now is the perfect time!
Serve immediately, and enjoy!
Add protein for extra oomph
Want to add something extra to your creamy pumpkin pasta? Add protein!
Ideas include chicken, beef or even turkey! No matter what you choose, cook as normal and then add to the pasta before serving.
How to store leftovers
Have extras? You can keep them in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Be sure to keep them tightly sealed in a container to prevent air from ruining the flavor.
If you’d like to double your batch for future use, toss the extras in the freezer and enjoy within 3 months.
Try these pasta recipes next
Everyone loves a good pasta recipe, but sometimes plain old noodles and tomato sauce get old! Here are some delicious pasta recipes that come with unique flavors.
- Healthy Taco Pasta
- Pasta with Creamy Vegan Walnut-Tomato Sauce
- Healthy Greek Pasta Salad (Gluten-Free)
- Healthy One Pot Pasta Recipe
Recipe by Erin Morrissey and Photos by The Mindful Hapa
- 16 oz dried pasta, I used brown rice fusilli
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced small
- 10 oz sliced mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh sage, chopped
- 1 15oz can coconut milk
- 1 15oz can pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- pinch of cayenne
- *optional* 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Prepare pasta according to package, drain. Set aside.
- In a large sauce pan or dutch oven, heat avocado oil over medium high heat.
- Add in onion, mushrooms, garlic, and sage. Saute until mushrooms and onions are cooked through, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add in can of coconut milk and can of pumpkin, then stir in all of the spices. Taste a little and add more spices to your taste. Let simmer over low heat for 10 minutes, then turn off heat.
- Pour your cooked pasta into the pan, and stir until well combined. If you are adding cheese, now would be the perfect time!
- Serve immediately. Store in fridge for up to 5 days or freezer for 3 months.
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂