Healthy Three Bean Turkey Chili that is easy to make, made with lean ground turkey, three types of beans, and tomatoes. This simple recipe is the best and is the perfect fall recipe!
There is something about fall and chili that just go together. When the leaves start to change and the temperature starts to drop, all I want is a hearty bowl of warm chili.
I’ve been making chili for as long as I can remember, but I’ve always just kind of eye-balled the recipe and never really had a certain specific list of ingredients I follow, but to me, that is the best part about chili.
It is super forgiving and easy to change to whatever flavors you’re currently feeling. Sometimes I like to add cinnamon for a slightly sweet touch, or make it spicy and add a little more cayenne – it really can be doctored up any way you want it!
This recipe calls for three types of beans: kidney, cannellini, and black beans, but you can add any type of beans that your heart desires. I also add turkey because I’m a big fan of the flavor it adds to any chili. I cook the ground turkey right in my pot, and then leave all the juices for the rest of the chili, making it SO flavorful.
But if you’re a vegetarian or just aren’t feeling meat, go ahead and leave it out! The three beans leave plenty of protein to help keep you satisfied.
The best part about this three bean turkey chili is that it gets better the longer you let it sit, so go ahead and make a big batch on Sunday, and then continue to eat it all week. Or you can freeze it and enjoy it at a later date!
I know you’re going to love this recipe! When I first posted this on my stories on Instagram, everyone went wild asking for the recipe! Be sure to let me know if you try it out!
- 2 tbsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 green pepper
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 6oz can tomato paste
- 2 14.5oz cans diced tomatoes
- 1 15oz can dark red kidney beans
- 1 15oz can cannellini beans
- 1 15oz can black beans
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- In a large sauce pot, hit oil over medium-high heat.
- Add in diced onion and green pepper, and cook for 5 minutes or until slightly softened.
- Add in garlic and ground turkey, and cook until no longer pink.
- Keep juice in pot, add in tomato paste, diced tomatoes, and beans – be sure to drain and rinse beans before adding in.
- Stir to combine and add in vegetable broth.
- Reduce heat to low and add in all seasonings.
- Simmer over low heat for 30-40 minutes, or until beans become slightly soft.
- Serve with plain greek yogurt, cheese, cilantro, and cornbread!
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂