This is literally the only chocolate chip cookie recipe you will ever use! Every bite is soft, chewy, and with the perfect balance of crumb and chocolate. Get ready for the best ever chocolate chip cookies!
Soft and yummy chocolate chip cookies
This is it! You’ve found it! This is the ultimate chocolate chip cookie recipe. Follow this recipe exactly as it’s written, and you’ll never go back to any other recipe again.
The sea salt flakes make the chocolate chips and chocolate chunks richer, deeper, and earthier.
I took all the guesswork out of making the ultimate chocolate chip cookies. You won’t have to wonder why your cookies are too flat or too round or too crispy, or too soft. Nope! These cookies turn out exactly how you want them to every single time.
Save this recipe because you’ll definitely come back for it. Even though the cookies can last a week in a cookie jar, you won’t be able to stop eating them.
These soft, fluffy cookies melt in your mouth. They will remind you of the best homemade cookies from your childhood.
This easy chocolate chip cookie recipe is made with all the same cookie ingredients you would expect. Here’s a bit more about what I used:
- All-Purpose Flour: You’ll use 2 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour. If you need the cookies to be gluten-free, use your favorite 1:1 gluten-free flour.
- Baking Soda: This gives the cookies a bit of rise and prevents them from being too dense. Use 1/2 a teaspoon.
- Baking Powder: Using this with the baking soda gives the cookies the perfect amount of rise, too; use 1/2 a teaspoon.
- Salt: About one teaspoon of salt will enhance all the other flavors in this cookie dough.
- Butter: Softened, unsalted butter moistens the cookies. Use a whole cup of butter!
- White Sugar: Use 3/4 a cup of granulated white sugar to sweeten the cookies.
- Brown Sugar: Use the same amount – 3/4 a cup – of brown sugar to give the cookies a deeper, caramelized flavor.
- Vanilla: Enhance the rich flavors of the cookies with two teaspoons of vanilla.
- Eggs: You need eggs to bind and emulsify everything. Use two large eggs.
- Dark Chocolate Bars: This is the secret ingredient that makes these cookies unbelievably delicious. Chop up two chocolate bars.
- Chocolate Chips: Of course, you need chocolate chips for chocolate chip cookies! Use 12 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Flaky Sea Salt: The sea salt on top of the cookies brings out all the different flavors in them.
Kitchen tools required
Here’s a bit more information about what I used to make these tasty homemade cookies.
Gather the following items before you begin:
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper
- Non-Stick Spray
- Mixing Bowls
- Hand Mixer
- Cookie Scoop
- Cooling Rack
For measuring, you will need 1 cup, 3/4 cup, 1/4 cup, 1 teaspoon, and 1/2 teaspoon.
How to make the best ever chocolate chip cookies
Making homemade chocolate chip cookies is the easiest things ever to make! Here’s how to make them, step-by-step.
Mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Set the dry ingredients aside.
In a large bowl, beat together butter, white sugar, and brown sugar using a hand mixer or stand mixer. Alternatively, you could use a hand whisk.
Then, add vanilla and beat it until it is smooth and creamy.
Add in eggs one at a time, blending until all are combined.
Next, slowly add in the flour mixture until all flour is blended into the dough. Use a spatula to continue mixing.
Add in chopped-up chocolate bars and chocolate chips. Stir until well combined.
After it is all mixed, chill the dough for at least 4 hours or overnight.
Preheat the oven to 375F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or nonstick spray.
When you’re ready to bake the cookies, use a cookie scoop, to scoop the cookies onto the baking sheets. Bake for 9-11 minutes or until slightly golden.
Let the cookies cool for 5 minutes on sheets, then move them to a cooling rack. Sprinkle the cookies with some flakey salt.
Below are some common homemade chocolate chip cookie questions. Don’t see the answer you’re looking for? Leave a comment at the bottom of this post!
What is the secret to chewy cookies?
In order to make your cookies delightfully chewy, you need to be patient and let the cookie dough rest in the refrigerator. Let it set in there for at least an hour. During this time, some of the moisture from the dough will evaporate, which increases the sugar content in the dough and keeps the baked cookies chewy.
What will happen if I add an extra egg?
All the fat in the eggs are stored in the egg yolk. If you use an extra egg, you are adding more fat to the cookies, so they will be even chewier and less crispier. If you use one egg (instead of two) the cookie will have more crumbs in them.
Should I use butter or shortening in chocolate chip cookies?
I prefer to bake with real, creamy butter. It will give the cookies a crispier exterior and a rich, buttery flavor. Also, real butter is so much better for you than shortening. is.
Some people think that shortening helps cookies hold their shape as they cook and they might spread out less, but my cookies turned out perfectly with the butter.
How do you keep cookies moist and chewy?
Underbake the cookies, pulling them out before they become too crispy. Then, store the cookies with a slice of bread. The bread in the cookie jar or container will soak up the moisture from the cookies, preventing them from drying out.
These cookies can be stored at room temperature. Keep them in an airtight container for up to one week.
You can also freeze them too. They will stay fresh in the freezer for up to six months.
If you liked this recipe, you’ll want to try these!
Here are some of my favorite cookie recipes you should make next. Enjoy!
- Maple Pecan Oatmeal Cookies
- Brown Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- No Bake Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies
- Healthy White Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- Healthy Kitchen Sink Cookies
Recipe by Erin Morrissey and Photos by The Mindful Hapa
- 2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 dark chocolate bars, chopped
- 12oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Flaky sea salt
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter, white sugar, and brown sugar using a hand mixer or stand mixer. Alternatively use a hand whisk.
- Add in vanilla and beat until totally smooth and creamy.
- Add in eggs one at a time, blending until all combined.
- Slowly add in flour mixture until all flour is blended into dough. Use a spatula to continue mixing.
- Add in chopped up chocolate bars and chocolate chips. Stir until well combined.
- Chill dough for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375F and line baking sheet with parchment paper or nonstick spray.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop onto baking sheets. Bake for 9-11 minutes or until slightly golden.
- Let cool for 5 minutes on sheets then move to cooling rack. Sprinkle with flakey salt.
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂