A healthy vegan banana bread recipe that is naturally gluten-free, moist and so easy to make. Pair with a little nut butter and a cup of coffee for the best morning breakfast.
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp flax meal mixed with 5 tbsp water, whisked and let sit for ten minutes)
- 3 medium bananas (1 1/4 cup mashed)
- 1/3 cup almond butter (or other nut/seed butter)
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 2/3 cups oat flour (homemade from certified gluten-free oats, measured after grinding. make this by blending in a high speed blender)
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips or nuts
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a loaf pan with parchment paper or nonstick spray. My loaf pan was 8.5 x 4.5.
- In a small bowl, make your flax egg by whisking together 2 tbsp flax meal with 5 tbsp water and letting it sit for ten minutes.
- Meanwhile, mash your ripe bananas in a large bowl.
- Once completely mashed, stir in your almond butter, coconut sugar, oil, vanilla, and apple cider vinegar.
- In a separate bowl, mix together your oat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir till combined.
- Stir in your flax eggs, then add in any other mix-ins that you want. I added chocolate chips.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan and top with more chocolate, nuts, or banana slices.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cover with foil halfway through baking.
*you can use tahini or another seed butter in place of almond butter if trying to keep this nut-free
*to make pumpkin version, replace banana with 1 cup pumpkin puree, replace coconut sugar with 1/2 cup maple syrup, use 2 cups oat flour instead of 1 3/4 cups oat flour, and 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice instead of cinnamon. Make the bread as instructed with those swaps and you will have a vegan delicious pumpkin bread.
- Category: baking, vegan, gluten-free
Keywords: vegan banana bread, banana bread, gluten free banana bread, healthy banana bread, vegan baking