Upgrade your normal mashed potatoes with this Savory Mashed Sweet Potatoes recipe. We’re using a mix of butter, Greek yogurt, and various spices to create a well-seasoned, fluffy bowl of potato deliciousness!
Fluffy, savory mashed sweet potatoes
Where do mashed potatoes fall on your scale of Top Dinner Sides? For me, they’re undoubtedly seated in the top three, if not hanging onto that #1 spot. I don’t know what it is, but the addition of mashed potatoes just makes any meal better!
This time around, I wanted to try something new that would taste a bit different but still be equally delicious. Enter: these savory mashed sweet potatoes. Oh, yeah. Sweet potatoes 100% work in mashed form, just as well as good old russets or yukon golds!
We’re whipping up a batch of these savory potatoes using a blend of Greek yogurt, butter, garlic, rosemary, onion powder, and more. The taste? Insane. I can’t wait for you to try these!
Ingredients in savory mashed sweet potatoes
Ready for some intense, creamy, and savory mashed sweet potatoes that use only 4 main ingredients and 5 seasonings? Here’s what you’ll need:
- Sweet Potatoes: Kick things off with 4.5 lbs of sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into chunks. The chunks don’t really need to be a certain size, but the smaller they are, the quicker they’ll become fork tender when simmering.
- Butter: Every mashed potato recipe needs a heaping amount of butter. This recipe calls for 4 tbsp.
- Greek yogurt: Next, use 1/3 cup of plain Greek yogurt. This makes the mashed potatoes nice and creamy!
- Garlic: Include 3 cloves of minced garlic for flavor.
- Salt & Pepper: Add 1.5 tsp of salt and 1 tsp of pepper for taste!
- Seasonings: Finally, finish things off with 1 tsp of onion powder, 2 tbsp of rosemary, and 2 tbsp of parsley.
Tools used to make sweet potato mash
To mash up your sweet potatoes into a delicious mashed potato delicacy, you will need a large saucepan or dutch oven, the matching lid, a fork, a strainer, a stirring utensil, and a potato masher.
You will also need 1/2 tsp, 1 tsp, 1 tbsp, and 1/4 cup measuring cups.
How to make this mashed sweet potato recipe
Making smashed sweet potatoes is simple — just let the potato chunks simmer, add the other ingredients, and mash! Here’s a full breakdown.
To begin, add the sweet potato chunks to a large saucepan or dutch oven and cover with 3 inches of water.
Place the lid on the pot and let the potatoes cook over medium-high heat for 25-30 minutes or until fork tender.
Once cooked, drain the water and place the potatoes back in the pan.
Add the butter, yogurt, garlic, salt, pepper, onion powder, rosemary, and parsley.
Using a potato masher, mash until you reach the desired texture. I like to do this for several minutes until the potatoes are very soft.
Add salt and pepper to taste and serve with butter.
How this recipe is healthier
Most mashed sweet potato recipes call for a much heftier amount of butter (often in the 1/2 cup or 3/4 cup range), along with milk. We skipped out on using that much butter and are using Greek yogurt instead! The substitute isn’t detectable flavor-wise, and the yogurt creates an incredible texture!
Enhance the flavor with this secret ingredient
I couldn’t send you off on your way to make this recipe without letting you in on a little secret. There happens to be an extra ingredient that can give your mashed sweet potatoes the perfect flavor, and you may be surprised to learn what it is…
Yep. Maple syrup pairs incredibly well with sweet potatoes! You can include a small amount (I’m talking a few tbsp) in the mix, or you can put a bit on the side or drizzle a tiny amount over your potatoes. However you choose to try it, you’re in for a treat.
If you liked this recipe, you’ll want to try these!
Potatoes are quite literally always a good idea, no matter the form. Try them in these yummy casserole, salad, and scalloped recipes!
- Healthier Sweet Potato Casserole
- Healthy Potato Salad
- Buffalo Chicken Sweet Potato Casserole
- Lightened Scalloped Potatoes
Recipe by Erin Morrissey and Photos by The Mindful Hapa
- 4.5 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into chunks
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup plain greek yogurt
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Add sweet potato chunks to large saucepan or dutch oven and cover with 3 inches of water.
- Place lid on and let potatoes cook over medium-high heat for 25-30 minutes or until fork tender.
- Drain water and place potatoes back in pan.
- Add butter, yogurt, garlic, salt, pepper, onion powder, rosemary, and parsley.
- Using a potato masher, mash until desired texture. I like to do this for several minutes until it is very soft.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with butter.
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂