This Easy White Chicken Chili Recipe is the perfect cozy and healthy meal. Made with chicken, beans, chiles, and more, this dish is full of flavor and is ready in under 40 minutes.
The easiest white chicken chili
This white chicken chili is one of my favorite chicken recipes. It’s delicious, it’s easy to make, and it doesn’t require much prep at all. Plus, you can make it on the stovetop or in your slow cooker. It’s up to you!
This chili consists of a blend of chicken (of course) mixed with onion, garlic, beans, chiles, and more. By mashing some of the beans, we’re able to achieve a super cozy, thick consistency.
This dish is filled with SO much flavor and is wonderful for pairing with salad or cornbread, or for eating on its own. Trust me, you’re going to be going in for seconds!
Ingredients for this chili recipe
Though this chili recipe seems to require a lot of different ingredients, don’t be intimidated. The list may look long, but the ingredients are actually very simple and include a lot of spices and seasonings! No speciality items are required; everything can be found in a standard grocery store.
Main Dish Ingredients:
- Olive oil
- Yellow onion
- White beans
- Chicken breasts
- Chicken broth
- Green chiles
- Chili powder
- Greek yogurt
- Greek yogurt
- Cheddar cheese
- Tortilla chips
Required kitchen tools
Whether you choose to use a slow cooker or your stovetop, the tools required to make this recipe are simple.
- Large pot
- Sharp knife
- Cutting board
- Potato masher
- Optional: Slow cooker
How to make white chicken chili
This recipe requires minimal prep and includes a bit of dicing and a few minutes of sautéing. After that, you essentially throw everything into a pot and wait for it to fully cook!
To start preparing this easy chili recipe, begin by warming some olive oil in a pot on the stove. Sauté the onions until soft. Add the garlic, and saute for one minute.
In a separate bowl, mash 1 cup of beans with a potato masher until soft. This will be used to thicken the soup.
Add the broth, chicken, mashed beans, regular beans, green chiles, and corn to the pot.
Once everything comes to a boil, reduce the heat to simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes, depending on the size of the chicken breasts.
Once the chicken is fully cooked, turn off the heat and take out the breasts. Shred them with two forks. You may need to let the chicken cool for a bit before handling.
Add the chicken back into the pot, then add the lime juice and the Greek yogurt.
Finally, serve with extra toppings including cilantro, Greek yogurt, cheese, tortilla strips, and jalapeños.
How to cook chicken chili in the slow cooker
You are more than welcome to make this recipe in a slow cooker. To do so, place all ingredients in the cooker and cook on low for 5-6 hours. Once cooked, shred the chicken with a fork and place back into the crockpot for serving.
How to prepare as a make-ahead meal
If you’d like, you can most certainly make this meal ahead of time!
Chop the necessary ingredients, and then store everything in a freezer bag. When it comes time to enjoy, allow everything to thaw before tossing it on the stove or in the slow cooker!
Enjoy your prepped meal within 3 months.
How to store this chili
With any extra chili, feel free to keep it refrigerated and enjoy within 3-4 days. I recommend storing it in an airtight container to keep it fresh.
Enjoy more recipes from Erin Lives Whole
There are more chicken recipes where this one came from! My website is filled with a wide selection of chicken meals cooked in many different ways. Enjoy!
- Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken
- Healthy Cashew Chicken
- Baked Paleo Chicken Tenders
- Healthy Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 2 cans white beans, drained and rinsed
- 2lbs chicken breasts, raw (~3 large breasts)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 4oz cans green chiles
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 can corn, drained and rinsed.
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt (I used 2%)
- Greek yogurt
- cheddar cheese
- tortilla chips
- Saute onions in olive oil until soft. Add in garlic for one minute and then add in all spices.
- In a separate bowl, mash 1 cup of beans with a potato masher until soft, we will use this to thicken the soup.
- Add broth, mashed and regular beans, green chiles, fire roasted tomatoes, and corn into pot. Then add in the chicken breasts and cook at medium-high heat.
- Once it comes to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook 15-20 minutes until chicken is cooked through, this will vary depending on the size of the chicken breasts.
- Once chicken is cooked, turn off heat and take out the breasts. When chicken is cool enough to handle, shred with two forks.
- Add the chicken back in, along with the juice of one lime and the Greek yogurt.
- Stir all together and serve with extra toppings such as cilantro, Greek yogurt, cheese, tortilla strips, and jalapenos.
For crockpot: Place all ingredients in crockpot and cook on low for 5-6 hours. Shred chicken with fork and place back into crockpot for serving.
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂