Get into the fall spirit with a Healthy Apple Bread Recipe made with cinnamon, nutmeg, maple syrup, and all things autumn. It’s a total treat, and the perfect morning or evening snack!
A satisfyingly sweet healthy apple dessert
This summer has completely flown by. It always feels fast, but this year felt extra so!
As the anticipation for cooler weather and crisper leaves gets closer and closer, many of us are starting to whip out the fall decorations, candles, and cozy socks. For some of us, fall-themed recipes are sneaking into the kitchen as well!
If that’s you, you’re in luck. This healthy apple bread recipe is the perfect way to get into the autumn spirit. The flavors are intense and delicious, and the warmth of the bread feels cozy!
Ingredients in healthy apple cinnamon bread
We’ll be using two sets of ingredients. For the bread portion, a base of almond flour, baking soda, and various spices will form the bulk of the recipe, while the maple syrup and vanilla will add to the flavor. Then, we’ll be creating a mouth watering cream cheese icing.
- Almond flour: First up, you need 2 1/2 cups of almond flour. This will form the base fo the bread.
- Baking soda: From there, add 1 tsp of baking soda to help the bread bake and rise properly.
- Cinnamon: Next, 2 tsp of cinnamon adds a deliciously subtle flavor.
- Nutmeg: Throw in 1/2 tsp of nutmeg for a slightly nutty, earthy taste.
- Salt: Finish off the spices with 1/4 tsp of salt.
- Eggs: Next, you’ll need 3 large eggs. It’s important that they’re room temperature.
- Coconut oil: To help the dry ingredients bind together, use 1/3 cup of melted coconut oil.
- Maple syrup: Add some natural, sweet flavor with 1/2 cup of maple syrup.
- Vanilla: 1 tsp of vanilla is a must for this apple bread!
- Apples: Finish off the bread batter with 2 cups of chopped apples.
- Cream cheese: 1 block of Neufchatel cream cheese will make up the base of the icing. For everything to mix properly, it should be soft before using.
- Maple syrup: Add sweet flavor to the icing with another 3 tbsp of maple syrup.
- Vanilla: Last but not least, finish off the recipe with 2 tsp of vanilla!
Tools needed to make healthy apple cinnamon bread
To create your apple cinnamon bread, you’ll need a few kitchen tools. Start with a 9×4 loaf pan, and then use parchment paper or nonstick spray to prevent the bread from sticking to the sides. Form there, you’ll need a medium and a large mixing bowl, a stirring utensil, and a whisk or hand mixer.
For measuring ingredients, you’ll need the following sized cups: 1/4 tsp, 1/2 tsp, 1 tsp, 1 tbsp, 1/3 cup, 1/2 cup, and 1 cup.
How to make this healthy apple bread recipe
The final flavor of almond flour apple bread is so worth the prep time, though not much is required. In total, you can expect this recipe to take about 10 minutes to prepare, and 50-55 to bake!
To begin, preheat the oven to 350ºF and line a 9×4 loaf pan with parchment paper or nonstick spray.
In a medium sized bowl, mix together the almond flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir everything together to evenly combine the ingredients. Stir in the chopped apples.
Pour the batter into the baking dish.
Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in a couple of spots comes out clean.
Meanwhile, make the frosting by mixing the ingredients with a hand mixer or whisk.
Let the frosting cool for at least 1 hour before topping with the frosting.
Have apple bread questions? Check below — you may find what you’re looking for! If your question isn’t answered here, feel free to drop it below!
What type of apples should I use?
Any flavor of apples will work in this bread, so I recommend using your favorite! Red delicious, granny smith, honeycrisp, pink ladies, and gala are all classics, but any type will work!
Can I use a different sized baking dish?
I definitely recommend using a bread pan for this recipe, and most standard pans are 9×4. However, any baking dish will work, whether it be a skillet or a casserole dish. Just remember to adjust the baking time!
How can this be stored?
Keep any leftover apple bread in the refrigerator to maintain its freshness. Enjoy within 3-4 days. You can also freeze it!
I forgot to let my eggs reach room temperature. Can I use cold eggs?
I highly recommend waiting until your eggs have warmed before using them in this recipe. The temperature effects the other ingredients and can change the way the bread bakes and rises.
Missing an ingredient or two? Some of these swaps may work!
Out of baking soda? you can use baking powder in its place! You need three times the amount of baking soda, so for this recipe that amounts to 1 tbsp.
Eggs can be substituted with apple sauce! You need 1/4 cup per egg, so 3/4 cup for this recipe.
If you find your bottle of maple syrup to be low, feel free to swap it with honey or molasses. Both are natural options that will taste just as delicious! Use a bit less to be safe, and then add to taste.
Nuts – another great addition to help boost the texture and add in some rich flavor!
If you liked this recipe, you’ll want to try these!
Craving some more apple recipes this fall? Here are some delicious ways to get your tastebuds into the season. The fall apple turkey burgers are an interesting and totally delicious must-try!
- Healthy Apple Pie Bars
- Fall Apple Turkey Burgers
- Healthy Apple Cobbler Recipe
- Gluten Free Apple Crumble Pie
Photos by Moriah Sawtelle and recipe by Erin Antoniak.
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 large eggs – room temperature
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups chopped apples, small
- 1 block Neufchatel cream cheese, softened (or regular)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a 9×4 loaf pan with parchment paper or nonstick spray.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together almond flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a larger bowl, whisk together eggs, coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and stir to combine. Stir in chopped apples.
- Pour into baking dish.
- Bake in oven for 50-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in certain comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, make frosting by mixing together with hand mixer or whisk.
- Let cool at least one hour before topping with frosting.
- Store in fridge.
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂