Ditch your old recipe and upgrade with Healthy Green Bean Casserole. Made with mushrooms, parmesan cheese, and garlic, it’s a flavor-rich dish that compliments any main course!
The most delicious healthy bean casserole
I don’t know about you, but I can always go for some tasty green bean casserole. I feel like a lot of people share my opinion, so why is it seemingly always limited to holidays and special occasions?! If it were up to me, green bean casserole would be present at least monthly. At least.
After you try this healthy green bean casserole recipe, I can guarantee you’re going to feel the same way.
This recipe takes everything good about green bean casserole and up-levels it to a healthier place. We remove a couple of the less nutrient-rich ingredients and replace them with things that are just as flavorful, like cremini mushrooms and parmesan cheese.
Ingredients in this healthy green bean casserole recipe
When it comes to this casserole’s ingredients, each item plays an important role. Some contribute to the flavor, others to the texture and density. When all is said and done, you’re left with a delicious casserole that’s perfect for gatherings or just for the family!
- Green beans: Begin with 2 lbs of green beans. Since these are the main ingredient in the dish, we’re loading them in!
- Olive oil: Next, set aside 2 tbsp of olive oil. This will be used to sauté the yellow onion.
- Yellow onion: You will need 1 small yellow onion, finely diced.
- Mushrooms: Include 10 oz of cremini mushrooms for flavor.
- Garlic: Next, season things up with 5 cloves of minced garlic.
- Salt & Pepper: Include 1 tsp each of salt and pepper.
- Nutmeg: 1/4 tsp of nutmeg adds some earthy spice (but not hot) flavor.
- Parmesan cheese: 2 tbsp of parmesan cheese will be used in the filling.
- Broth: Next, use 1/2 cup of chicken broth to add density to the sauce.
- Almond milk: 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk thickens up the casserole filling.
- Arrowroot powder: 2 tbsp of arrowroot powder is just enough powder to help the filling reach the correct consistency.
- Broth: You will need an additional 3 tbsp of broth.
- Olive oil: 2 tbsp of olive oil is used to cook the shallots.
- Shallots: You will need about 5 shallots, and they should be sliced into rings.
- Parmesan: Finally, the dish is complete with 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese.
Tools needed to make healthy fresh green bean casserole
When it comes to kitchen tools, you’ll need a few cooking pots, measuring cups, a mixing bowl, and a couple of other items. Here’s a full list:
- Spatula or stirring utensil
- Mixing bowl
- 8×11 baking dish
For measuring, you’ll need the following sized cups: 1/4 tsp, 1 tsp, 1 tbsp, 1/4 cup, 1/2 cup, and 1 cup.
How to make healthy green bean casserole
It will take about 15 minutes to prep the casserole. After that, let the oven do the work as it bakes for around 40 minutes.
Begin by preheating the oven to 350ºF.
Add the green beans to boiling water for 6-7 minutes, and then drain and rinse with cold water.
Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic, salt, pepper, and nutmeg, and stir in the parmesan cheese.
Finally, add the chicken broth and almond milk.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the arrowroot power and additional chicken broth. Pour the mix into the onion and mushroom mixture. This will help to thicken the sauce over the next several minutes.
Once thick, pour 1/4 of the sauce mixture into the bottom of an 8×11 baking dish.
Add the green beans to the dish and then pour the rest of the sauce mixture on top.
Bake for 40 minutes.
While baking, heat the olive oil and cook the shallots over high heat for 4-5 minutes or until they turn golden brown. They will burn easily, so keep your eye on them. Drain on a paper towel.
Once the casserole is done, add the crispy shallots and parmesan cheese to the top.
What makes this casserole healthier?
Most green bean casseroles consist of about 4 ingredients – green beans, cream of mushroom soup, salt, and fried onion pieces. While those recipes are a breeze to make, they simply don’t pack in all of the nutrients that this recipe provides! To make this healthier and add lots of flavor, we’re making two big changes.
Broth, almond milk, and mushrooms
First, we’re skipping cream of mushroom soup and instead using a blend of broth, almond milk, mushrooms, and spices to achieve the same flavor and result. A few other ingredients help with the consistency, like arrowroot powder and parmesan.
Next, we’re ditching the fried onions and using a parmesan cheese coating instead. This is my favorite way to make green bean casserole because the cheese becomes golden brown and makes a delicious top layer!
If you liked this recipe, you’ll want to try these!
The casseroles don’t stop there. Try some of these ideas for hearty meals that pack a punch and supply loads of flavor!
- Healthier Sweet Potato Casserole
- Cranberry Chicken Casserole
- Buffalo Chicken Sweet Potato Casserole
- Lemon Chicken Spaghetti Squash Casserole
Recipe by Erin Morrissey and Photos by The Mindful Hapa
- 2 lbs green beans
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 10 oz cremini mushrooms
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or regular milk)
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 3 tbsp chicken broth
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 5 shallots, sliced into rings
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Add green beans to boiling water for 6-7 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes or until softened. Add in garlic, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Stir in parmesan cheese.
- Add in chicken broth and almond milk.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together arrowroot powder and chicken broth. Pour into onion and mushroom mixture. This helps thicken the sauce over the next several minutes.
- Once thick, pour 1/4 of the sauce mixture into the bottom of an 8×11 baking dish.
- Add all of the green beans to the dish and then add the rest of the sauce mixture on top.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- While baking, heat olive oil and cook shallots over high heat for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown. They will burn easily so keep your eye on them. Drain on paper towel.
- Once casserole is done, add crispy shallots and parmesan cheese to the top.
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂