Need a healthy frosting to make your baked goods complete? This Healthier Chocolate Frosting is an easy, two ingredient recipe that’s sure to make any cake or brownie extra delicious. Plus, it only requires 5 minutes of hands-on work.
The easiest homemade chocolate frosting
You’ve spent hours in the kitchen putting together a perfectly baked tiered cake or delicious pan of fudge brownies, but they don’t feel complete. Suddenly, you realize you’re in dire need of the final touch: chocolate frosting!
Instead of running out to the store, check your pantry. With only two ingredients needed to make this healthier chocolate frosting, chances are, you probably have the necessary items lying around somewhere!
Together, the ingredients turn into a rich and creamy bowl of delicious chocolate frosting that can be used on any cake, cookie, or brownie that you’d like.
Be sure to keep this recipe on hand, because if you love to bake, you’re going to need it!
Ingredients needed to make healthier chocolate frosting
As mentioned above, this recipe only requires two ingredients! You’ll need one can of coconut cream, and one 12oz bag of your favorite chocolate chips.
Be sure that you use coconut cream and not milk, as milk will be too runny and won’t work for this recipe.
Tools used to make this recipe
To make this chocolate frosting, you’ll either need a double boiler or a microwavable bowl. If going the boiler route, you’ll simply need a sauce pan and a glass bowl.
Oh, and don’t forget to grab something to use to stir!
How to make healthy chocolate icing
You can go one of two routes with this recipe: double boiler or microwave. Personally, I like to go with the double boiler method because it ensures that I won’t overcook or burn my chocolate! But, you can use whichever method you’d prefer.
Double boiler method:
Set up a double boiler by filling a saucepan with water and placing it on the stove. Take a glass bowl, set it on top of the pan, and fill it with the chocolate chips and cream. The steam from the hot water will melt the mixture into the perfect consistency.
Using a microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips and the coconut cream in 15 second intervals. Be sure not to overcook, as it can burn.
Note: “Coconut cream” refers to the hard white part at the top of the can only. Discard the leftover liquid, or save it to use in smoothies.
After your chocolate and cream are melted completely, let the bowl rest on the counter for 15 minutes. Then, place in the fridge and let chill for two hours.
Once two hours have passed, remove the frosting from the fridge and check the consistency. If it’s too hard to blend, let it sit on the counter at room temperature for about 15 minutes. If it’s soft, whisk with a hand whisk until it reaches a fluffy consistency (you can also use a regular hand whisk).
Once fluffed, your frosting is ready to be added to any baked good your heart desires!
If you choose to enjoy a little spoonful of the frosting by itself, don’t worry. Your secret is safe with me!
Keep leftover icing refrigerated.
Applying frosting to your baked goods
When it comes time to top your cake (or other baked dessert) with this delicious healthy chocolate frosting, there are a couple of ways that you can do it!
- Knife or spatula: The most classic way is to use a knife or icing spatula to evenly spread the frosting in a flat layer across the whole cake. Smooth out any heavy spots to make it an even thickness throughout.
- Ziploc bag: To add some flair to your cake, you can easily make a piping bag by cutting a corner off of a plastic bag! Make it as small or large as you’d like, depending on how you want the frosting to look.
- Parchment paper: You can also make a piping bag with parchment paper! This one require a bit of folding, but a quick Google search will explain how it’s done.
Hint: Piping bags are great for adding frosting to cupcakes!
Recipes to pair with healthier chocolate frosting
Here are some delicious cake, cookie, and brownie recipes that are made complete with a rich and creamy chocolate icing. They’re great for pairing with this two ingredient recipe!
- 1 can coconut cream (not coconut milk)
- 1 (12oz) bag chocolate chips
- Make the frosting first. In a double boiler (a saucepan filled with water with a glass bowl on top filled with chocolate chips), melt your chocolate and coconut cream. The coconut cream is just the hard white part at the top of the can. Discard the remaining liquid or use in smoothies.
- Once melted completely, let bowl rest on counter for 15 minutes. Then place in fridge for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, take frosting out of fridge. If it is too hard to blend, let sit for 15 minutes at room temp. If it’s soft, whisk with hand mixer until fluffy. If you don’t have hand mixer, whisk well with a hand whisk.
- Store leftovers in fridge.
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂