Cranberry Pecan Chicken Salad is a must-try recipe that makes the perfect filling for wraps and sandwiches. It’s made with cranberries, red onion, celery, and loads of flavor components!
The most delicious cranberry chicken salad
Regular chicken salad? Nah. Chicken salad filled with juicy dried cranberries and sweet chopped pecans? Yes. That’s exactly what we’re whipping up in today’s post, a delicious, flavor-filled cranberry pecan chicken salad recipe that totally hits the spot!
This is one of my go-to recipes for prepping on a Sunday. It makes a huge bowl so it’s great as a meal prep option or perfect for using as a dinner side for the entire family! And with flavors this good, even the pickiest eaters will be happy.
The salad is made with a mix of chicken, cranberries, celery, pecans, and red onion, and the dressing uses a Greek yogurt and mayo base to form a creamy, healthy topping.
Ingredients in cranberry pecan chicken salad
This cranberry pecan chicken salad recipe is overflowing with intense flavors. It uses a mix between savory and sweet for a flavor combo that totally hits the spot! You’ll need one set of ingredients for the salad and another for the homemade dressing.
- Chicken: Start with 3 cups of cooked chicken. Dice it up into bite-sized pieces or smaller.
- Celery: Next, add some crunch to the chicken salad with 1 cup of diced celery.
- Pecans: Include 1/2 cup of pecans. Be sure to chop them into smaller pieces.
- Cranberries: Add the fruity cranberry flavor with 1/2 cup of dried cranberries.
- Red onion: Finally, finish the salad by adding 1/2 cup of diced red onion. This adds a nice bite and tastes fantastic alongside the pecans and cranberries!
- Greek yogurt: 1/2 cup of plain Greek yogurt will make up the base of the dressing.
- Mayonnaise: Combine that with 1/4 cup of mayonnaise.
- Lemon juice: Next, add some tangy flavor with 1 tbsp of lemon juice.
- Fresh dill: Throw in 3 tbsp of fresh dill for taste.
- Seasonings: Finally, add 1/2 tsp each of garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
Tools needed to create this recipe
Chicken salad keeps things simple in the kitchen tools department. Start with a cutting board and knife for prepping the chicken and veggies. After that, you’ll just need a large mixing bowl, a smaller mixing bowl, and a stirring utensil.
For measuring, you will need 1 tsp, 1 tbsp, 1/4 cup, 1/2 cup, and 1 cup.
How to make chicken salad with cranberries and pecans
When your ingredients are ready and it’s time to dive into the “cooking” process, things are easy. Start by combining the salad ingredients, and then combine the dressing ingredients in another bowl. Mix it all together, and voila! Here is a full breakdown:
Begin by adding the diced chicken, celery, pecans, cranberries, and red onion to a large mixing bowl.
In a smaller mixing bowl, mix together all of the ingredients for the dressing.
Pour the dressing over the top of the chicken mixture and stir until it’s well combined.
Chill the salad in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before eating.
How to serve cranberry chicken salad
Chicken salad can be served in your favorite wraps, enjoyed on a sandwich, added to various salad dishes, or eaten straight out of the container with a fork!
Ways to switch up the recipe
There are a few ways you can mix and match the ingredients to create variations.
The first way is with the nuts! You can swap pecans with walnuts, peanuts, or whichever type you prefer. They’ll all taste great!
Not a cranberry fan? Try a different dried fruit! So many options will work, whether you use dried apples, raisins, or even dates!
Finally, the red onion can be swapped with white or yellow. Use your favorite type!
If you liked this recipe, you’ll want to try these!
I couldn’t send you on your way without a few related recipes! Whether you’re craving some more pecan dishes or want another idea for cranberry something, you’ve got options.
- Healthy Pecan Pie Bars
- Cinnamon Toast Granola
- Cranberry Quinoa Salad
- Healthy White Chocolate Cranberry Cookies
Recipe by Erin Morrissey and Photos by Quarter Soul Crisis
- 3 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt, plain
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp fresh dill
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- In a large bowl, add your diced chicken, celery, pecans, cranberries, and red onion.
- In a smaller bowl, mix together all of the ingredients for the dressing.
- Pour the dressing over top of the chicken mixture and stir until well combined.
- Let chill in fridge for 30 minutes before eating.
- Serve in a wrap, in salads, or straight with a fork!
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂