Cozy on up with a bowl of this Creamy Cauliflower Soup Recipe made with lemon, garlic, nutmeg, and parsley. Make it vegan by simply switching out the butter!
The best cauliflower soup recipe
Looking for a soup that’s extra healthy and made without meat? Look no further than this creamy cauliflower soup recipe! This dish packs in veggies (literally) by using a whole head of cauliflower and an onion. It’s flavored with lemon juice, garlic, nutmeg, and parsley, for a super cozy taste perfect for enjoying on a chilly winter night.
Ingredients in this creamy cauliflower soup recipe
You will need flavorings and veggie broth to make this soup from scratch. We’ll also be taking it one step further by preparing 4-ingredient homemade croutons!
- Olive oil: First up for the soup, you will need 2 tbsp of olive oil. This is going to be used to soften the onion and garlic.
- Onion: As for the onion, you will need 1 medium yellow onion, diced.
- Garlic: Use 4 cloves of minced garlic for flavor.
- Cauliflower: Next, you will need the most important ingredient of the dish: cauliflower! Use 1 large head (2.5-3lbs), cut into florets.
- Salt and pepper: Add flavor with 1.5 tsp of salt and 1 tsp of pepper.
- Broth: Add density to the soup by using 4 cups of veggie broth as the liquid component.
- Butter: Next, you will need 2 tbsp of butter.
- Lemon juice: Add a bit of tangy flavor with the addition of 2 tbsp of lemon juice.
- Nutmeg: Throw in 1/4 tsp of nutmeg for taste.
- Parsley: Last but not least, you will need 2 tbsp of chopped parsley for garnishing.
- Sourdough bread: The croutons will be made with 4 cups of sourdough bread. It will need to be diced into cubes.
- Olive oil: Next, you will need 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Rosemary: 1 tbsp of fresh, chopped parsley will add some flavor to the croutons!
- Salt & pepper: Finish them off with a pinch each of salt and pepper.
Kitchen tools you’ll need to make homemade cauliflower soup
To prepare this healthy cauliflower soup, you will need a handful of kitchen tools in addition to 5 measuring cup sizes. Here’s everything you’ll want to gather before you begin:
- Cutting board
- Chopping knife
- Dutch oven
- Stirring utensil
- Blender (immersion or regular)
- Sauté pan
- Measuring cups: 1/4 tsp, 1/2 tsp, 1 tsp, 1 tbsp, 1 cup
How to make this creamy cauliflower soup recipe
This soup is very simple to make and is ready in under an hour.
Start by adding the oil to a large dutch oven and heating it over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the diced onion and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until the onions begin to soften. Then, add the garlic and cook for another minute.
Dice the cauliflower into florets and then add to the pot with the onions. Stir in the salt and pepper.
Pour in the veggie broth and bring the mixture to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the cauliflower is tender.
When the cauliflower is tender, add the butter, lemon juice, and nutmeg. Turn off the heat and let sit for 10 minutes.
Then, use an immersion blender or a regular blender to blend until the soup is completely smooth.
Meanwhile, heat a sauté pan over medium-high heat and add the oil. Once hot, add the bread cubes and spices. Cook for 7-8 minutes, tossing occasionally until the bread is toasted.
Top with parsley and croutons before serving.
As with most soup recipes, this one stores quite well. You may even find that it tastes better on day two or three!
To store leftover cauliflower soup, place it in an airtight container and enjoy it within 3-4 days. Reheat on the stove.
You can also freeze it! Simply thaw before reheating and enjoy within about 2 months.
Make it vegan?
The great thing about this soup is that it’s SO easy to make vegan. To do so, simply replace the 2 tbsp of butter with a dairy-free alternative!
Can I prepare this in a slow cooker?
Absolutely. To prepare in a slow cooker, simply add everything to the slow cooker (except the parsley and croutons) and let simmer on low for 6 hours or high for 3-4. Add the parsley and croutons before serving.
If you liked this recipe, you’ll want to try these!
It’s officially soup season! Here are some more soup recipes to keep you nice and cozy this week.
- Easy Creamy Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese
- White Bean Kale Sausage Soup
- Easy Tortellini Spinach Soup
- Lightened Up Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Recipe by Erin Morrissey and Photos by The Mindful Hapa
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large head cauliflower (2.5-3lbs)
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 4 cups veggie broth
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 4 cups sourdough, diced into cubes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- pinch of salt & pepper
- In a large dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Once hot, add diced onion and cook for 4-5 minutes or until beginning to soften. Add in garlic and cook another minute.
- Dice cauliflower into florets, then add to the onions. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Pour in veggie broth and bring to boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes or until cauliflower is tender.
- Once cauliflower is tender, add butter, lemon juice, and nutmeg. Turn off heat and let sit 10 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender or regular blender, blend soup until completely smooth.
- Meanwhile, heat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add oil. Once hot, add bread cubes and spices. Cook 7-8 minutes, tossing occasionally until bread is toasted.
- Add soup to bowl and top with parsley and croutons.
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂