Dive in to a warm, creamy bowl of Lightened Up Broccoli Cheddar Soup for the ultimate comfort food — the healthy way!
The ultimate cozy, cheesy broccoli soup
Need some comfort food vibes? Let me tell you, there’s nothing quite like a good, warm bowl of soup to make that coziness happen.
And rest assured, you’ll find exactly what you need in this lightened up broccoli cheddar soup recipe. It’s the absolute bomb and has so much cheesy flavor in each bite!
It only takes about half an hour to make, and it’s a pretty low-stress dish that even beginners can master. We’ll be making it with lots of cheese (obviously), broccoli, and yummy seasonings like garlic, nutmeg, and more. Let’s dive in!
Ingredients in this broccoli cheddar soup recipe
Broccoli cheddar soup is infamous for being a deliciously thick soup. And with these ingredients, you get just that! Here’s everything you’ll need to bring it to life.
- Avocado Oil: First up, 2 tbsp of avocado oil will be used to sauté the onion.
- Onion: Use 1 whole yellow onion diced into small pieces.
- Garlic: 2 cloves of minced garlic will be used to add the flavor that we all love! Yes, it totally makes this soup that much better.
- Flour: 1/4 cup of gluten free flour is used for texture and consistency.
- Stock: 4 cups of chicken stock serves as the liquid component of broccoli soup.
- Carrots: Shred 2 large carrots to add extra flavor and texture!
- Broccoli: Now for the star of the show! Use 5 heaping cups of broccoli chopped into small pieces. It should use about 2 small heads of broccoli.
- Salt & Pepper: Use 1 tsp of salt and pepper, each.
- Nutmeg: Include 1/2 tsp of nutmeg for extra flavor.
- Milk: 1 cup of milk works to thicken the soup.
- Cheese: Don’t forget the cheese! Add 2 cups of shredded cheddar. I like to grab the blocks and shred them myself, but pre-shredded works just as well!
- Arrowroot Powder: 2 tbsp of arrowroot powder will be used to thicken the recipe. You can substitute with cornstarch if needed!
- Milk: Finally, we’ll be mixing the powder with an additional 1 tbsp of milk to create the right texture.
Tools needed to make this recipe
To create homemade cheddar and broccoli soup, you’ll need the follow items. Don’t forget your measuring cups! Proper measurements are extra important for this one.
- Cutting board
- Chopping knife
- Dutch oven or large pot
- Small bowl
For measuring, grab the following sizes: 1/2 tsp, 1 tsp, 1 tbsp, 1/4 cup, and 1 cup.
How to make lightened up broccoli cheddar soup
Making your own broccoli cheddar soup is simpler than you think. In fact, the whole shebang only takes about half an hour!
First, heat the avocado oil in a dutch oven. Add the onion and sauté until it softens.
Add the garlic and let cook for 2 minutes.
Then, use a whisk to add the flour, followed by the chicken stock. Combine well until all of the clumps are dissolved.
Bring the mixture to a boil, and then add the broccoli, carrots, salt, pepper, and nutmeg and cook for 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes, add the milk and cheese. Lower the heat to medium and stir.
In a small dish, whisk together the arrowroot powder and milk to create a slurry. Pour it into the soup to help thicken the mixture.
Let the soup cook for 10 minutes over medium-low heat.
Turn off the heat and serve!
How to veganize this recipe
If you’re craving some light broccoli cheddar soup but would prefer to go the vegan route, it’s totally possible! Make these three swaps, and you’ll be in plant-based heaven.
- Stock: First up, swap the chicken broth with veggie broth. Use the same amount (4 cups).
- Milk: Next, replace the milk with your favorite plant-based option like almond, oat, or cashew. I would go with a non-sweetened choice for flavor purposes.
- Cheese: Swap with your favorite plant-based vegan cheddar like Miyoko’s or Daiya!
Any leftovers can be kept in the fridge and enjoyed within 2-3 days. Make sure they’re in an airtight container to lock in freshness, and reheat on the stove!
If you liked this recipe, you’ll want to try these!
Dive in to some more cheesy deliciousness with these recipes. From quiche and potatoes to pizza casserole (for real) and more soup, there’s something for every craving!
- Healthy Spinach Bacon Quiche
- Lightened Scalloped Potatoes
- Easy Pizza Casserole Recipe
- Baked Potato Cauliflower Soup
Recipe by Erin Morrissey and Photos by Quarter Soul Crisis
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup gluten free flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 5 heaping cups broccoli, chopped small (2 small heads)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder (or cornstarch)
- 1 tbsp milk
- In a dutch oven, heat avocado oil. Add in onion and saute until softened.
- Add in garlic and let cook 2 minutes.
- Using a whisk, add in the flour, then the chicken stock until well combined and no clumps.
- Bring to a boil, then add the broccoli, carrots, salt, pepper, and nutmeg and cook for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, add the milk and the cheese. Lower heat to medium and stir.
- In a small dish, whisk together the arrowroot and milk to create a slurry, then pour it into the soup. This will help thicken your soup greatly. Let soup cook for 10 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Turn off heat and serve!
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂