Cozy up with a warm bowl of Creamy Buffalo Chicken Soup. Made with lots of veggies, hot sauce, and cream cheese, this is a soup that’s just as satisfying as it is filling! Top with blue cheese, green onion, and tortilla chips for extra flavor.
The best creamy soup for fall
One of the best flavors out there is buffalo. You can’t deny it! There’s a reason why everyone craves buffalo flavored… anything, and it’s because it’s just good.
And I have to agree. My love for the hot-but-not-overwhelming flavor is made evident by all of the recipes I’ve shared. Take buffalo chicken meatballs, buffalo chicken dip, and buffalo chicken sweet potato casserole, for example. Buffchic is where it’s at!
And to add to my ever increasing repertoire of buffchic recipes, I decided I needed to create a soup. Thus, creamy buffalo chicken soup was born, and thank goodness for it! This soup is creamy, thick, cozy, and slightly hot. It packs in so much flavor and is the perfect way to enjoy buffalo chicken in the fall!
So grab your ingredients and kitchen tools, and let’s get to cooking!
Ingredients used to make this buffalo chicken recipe
You know what they say about soup… the more ingredients, the better! Which means this soup is downright delicious, because it uses a little bit of everything. The main ingredients consist of lots of veggies, stock, and chicken, and the seasonings consist of everything yummy, including hot sauce.
- Ghee: To start, we’ll use 2 tbsp of ghee to sauté the veggies. You can use butter instead if preferred.
- White onion: White onion will be used to add flavor and crunch to the soup. 1/2 cup diced up into small pieces will be perfect.
- Carrots: Next up, grab about 5 carrot sticks and slice them into coins.
- Celery: 5 sticks of celery will add some extra oomph. Dice them up as well.
- Cauliflower: Cauliflower serves as a large part of this recipe. We’ll be using 4 heaping cups, cut into florets.
- Chicken stock: We’ll be using chicken stock as the liquid for this soup. You’ll need about 4 cups.
- Chicken breasts: As for the chicken, 4 large breasts will be just enough. They should equal out to about 3 lbs.
- Cream cheese: Cream cheese is such a key ingredient in this dish! You’ll need 4 oz, and you can use a dairy-free version if you’d like.
- Optional toppings: Finally, blue cheese, green onion, and tortilla chips all make delicious toppings. You can add extra hot sauce too!
Seasonings & Flavorings:
- Garlic: Include 2 cloves of minced garlic for all the flavor!
- Dried parsley: For an herby touch, we’re using 1 tbsp of dried parsley.
- Garlic powder: And because garlic cloves aren’t enough, throw some powder in too! 1 tsp will be plenty.
- Onion powder: Similarly, add 1 tsp of onion powder.
- Dried dill: Finally, add 1 tsp of dried dill.
- Salt and pepper: Include 1/2 tsp each of salt and pepper.
- Frank’s Red Hot Sauce: If you’d like, add in 1/4 cup of hot sauce for a dash of heat! I always use Frank’s Red Hot Sauce – it’s my favorite!
Tools needed to make this recipe for chicken soup
To make creamy buffalo chicken soup you’ll need only a few kitchen items: those to cut veggies, those to cook, and those to measure out the ingredients!
- Cutting board
- Chopping knife
- Dutch oven or sauce pot
- Stirring utensil
- Measuring cups: 1/2 tsp, 1 tsp, 1 tbsp, 1/2 cup, 1/3 cup, and 1 cup
How to make creamy buffalo chicken soup
Creamy buffalo chicken soup is easy to make and comes together in about 40 minutes. Just chop the veggies, sauté them on the stove, add the spices and chicken, and ta-da! Easy and delicious buffalo soup.
To begin, wash and chop the vegetables.
In a large dutch oven or sauce pot, heat the ghee over medium-high heat. Once melted, add the onion, carrots, celery, and cauliflower and let everything cook for 6-8 minutes or until it begins to soften.
Next, add the garlic, parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, dried dill, salt, and pepper, and mix until well combined.
Pour in the chicken stock and hot sauce, and then add the chicken breasts and submerge them in the liquid.
Bring the pot to a boil, and once boiling, cook for 12 minutes.
Take the chicken out after 12 minutes and set aside. Ladle a little more than half of the soup into a blender (including half of the cauliflower, carrots, celery, and broth) and blend until smooth.
Then, pour the blended mixture into the remaining soup broth.
Add the cream cheese and whisk until melted.
Cut the chicken into small pieces and add them back into the soup.
Let simmer for 10 minutes over medium-low heat, and then it’s ready to serve.
Top with green onions, blue cheese, tortilla chips, and more hot sauce if desired.
Creamy buffalo chicken soup substitution options
I’m all about customizing recipes and always encourage Erin Lives Whole readers to do what they can to make the dish their own! For this recipe, it’s so easy to do that.
- White onion: Feel free to use a yellow or red onion if that’s what you have on hand.
- Chicken stock: Any stock can be used in place of chicken stock, whether that’s beef, veggie, etc.
- Chicken breasts: Feel free to use whichever meat you’d like. Turkey breasts make a great substitute, and tofu may work as well!
Cozy up with one of these soup ideas
It’s undeniably soup season, which means I couldn’t end this post without giving you a few more ideas to try out this week! Below are 5 delicious soup dishes that are all easy to make and come together in hardly any time. Enjoy!
- Healthy Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Butternut Squash Soup (Vegan, Dairy-Free)
- Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Healthy Chicken Pot Pie Soup (Dairy-Free)
- Easy Minestrone Soup
Recipe by Erin Morrissey + Photos by Quarter Soul Crisis
- 2 tbsp ghee (or butter)
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 5 carrots sticks, sliced into coins
- 5 celery sticks, diced
- 4 heaping cups cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/3 cup Frank’s Red Hot Sauce
- 4 large chicken breasts (about 3 lbs)
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened (can be dairy free)
- optional toppings: blue cheese, green onion, tortilla chips
- Prepare all veggies by washing and chopping.
- In a large dutch oven or sauce pot, heat ghee over medium-high heat. Once melted, add onion, carrots, celery, and cauliflower. Let cook about 6-8 minutes or until beginning to soften.
- Add in garlic. Then add in spices: parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, dried dill, salt and pepper. Mix until well combined.
- Pour in chicken stock and hot sauce. Then add 4 chicken breasts and submerge in liquid.
- Bring pot to a boil, and once boiling, cook 12 minutes.
- Take chicken out after 12 minutes and set aside. Ladle a little more than half of the soup into a blender (including half of the cauliflower, carrots, celery, and broth) and blend until smooth.
- Pour blended mixture into remaining soup broth.
- Add in cream cheese and whisk until melted.
- Cut chicken into small pieces and add back into soup.
- Let simmer for 10 minutes over medium-low heat, then serve.
- Top with green onion, blue cheese, tortilla chips and more hot sauce if desired.
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂