Skip the loads of oils and air fry your tofu with this Crispy Air Fryer Tofu recipe. It’s the perfect way to achieve a healthier tofu option for salads, tacos, ramen, or eating as-is!
The best air fryer tofu recipe
Today we’re cooking up the best tofu. It’s not deep fried and it’s not baked, rather it’s made in the air fryer and results in seriously crispy, delicious bites.
If you’re new to the air frying world (which most of us are, because it’s an art that has only gotten super popular in the last couple of years!), let me give you the quick rundown.
Air frying “fries” with hot air, which results in foods that are perfectly crispy on the outside. What makes it great is that it doesn’t use heaps of oil like deep frying, so it saves a lot of calories and makes the food much healthier to enjoy. And as for the flavor? Air fried foods are just as good as deep fried in my opinion! Just throw on your preferred seasonings and the food will be golden (pun intended).
Ingredients in crispy air fryer tofu
This air fried tofu recipe consists of only four main ingredients and 5 seasonings. You can also add any other flavorings that you’d like!
- Tofu: First, you’ll need 1 block of tofu. I recommend an extra firm version for this recipe.
- Avocado oil: 1 tbsp of avocado oil will be used for dressing the tofu and helping the seasonings stick.
- Sesame oil: 1 tsp of sesame oil will add flavor.
- Arrowroot powder: Next, 2 tbsp of arrowroot powder will help the tofu achieve the perfect level of crispiness in the air fryer.
- Seasonings: For flavor, add 1 tsp each of smoked paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Salt & pepper: Finally, finish things off with 1/2 tsp each of salt and pepper.
Tools needed to make air fried tofu
To make your own air fryer tofu, you will first need paper towels and pans to press the tofu. Gather a cutting board, knife, measuring cups, and your air fryer, and you’re ready to go! The measuring cups needed include 1/2 tsp, 1 tsp, and 1 tbsp.
How to make crispy air fryer tofu
The longest part of making this dish comes in pressing the tofu, and that says something! It’s a very simple recipe to whip together. We will begin by cutting and seasoning the tofu, and then we’ll let it air fry for about 20 minutes.
To begin, press the tofu for at least 30 minutes. I place mine on a plate with a dish towel under it, and then I add paper towels on top and use a stack of books or pans to press it down. You can also use a tofu press. This helps to get out most of the liquid.
Next, cut the tofu into bite sized pieces and add them to a large bowl.
Add the avocado oil and sesame oil and toss.
Then, add the remainder of the ingredients and toss to completely coat the tofu.
Place the tofu in an even layer in the an air fryer and fry at 400ª for 16-20 minutes or until golden brown.
How to serve crispy tofu
There are a bunch of a ways to use your cripsy tofu, such as enjoying as a quick snack — the salt and pepper makes it yummy and ready to eat right away!
You can also dip the pieces in your favorite sauces or use them as a meat replacement in other dishes. For instance, you can cut the block into strips for using in fajitas.
You can also throw your tofu pieces into salads, ramen, or your favorite Thai dishes!
Crispy air fryer tofu should be stored in the refrigerator and enjoyed within 3-4 days. Store separately from any sauce or other ingredients to keep it as crispy as possible.
If you liked this recipe, you’ll want to try these!
Want some more recipes that feature plant based alternatives like tofu and tempeh? Here are some of my faves. The Vegan Ricotta Cheese is a must use in plant-based lasagna or stuffed shells!
- Vegan Tempeh Tacos
- Vegan Chocolate Frosting
- Sesame Ginger Tempeh Stir Fry
- Vegan Pumpkin Pie
- Vegan Ricotta Cheese
Recipe by Erin Morrissey and Photos by Quarter Soul Crisis
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Press tofu for at least 30 minutes. I place mine on a plate with a dish towel under it. then I add paper towels on top, and use a stack of books or pans to press it down. You can also use a tofu press. This helps get out most of the liquid.
- Cut tofu into bite size pieces and then add to a large bowl.
- Add in the avocado oil and sesame oil and toss.
- Add in remainder of the ingredients and then toss tofu to coat completely.
- Place in air fryer in even layer. Air fry for 16-20 minutes at 400F or until golden brown.
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂