Combine two amazing treats into one with this Healthy Brookies Recipe. The combo of brownies and cookies is the ultimate sweet treat!
A healthy blend of cookies and brownies
Have you ever wondered what a blend between cookies and brownies may taste like? Now imagine the healthy version, but just as delicious! That’s exactly what this recipe is.
This healthy brookies recipe brings you the best of both worlds, but not at the expense of your nutrition. With multiple healthier substitutes ranging from coconut sugar to almond flour, this recipe will help curb that sweet tooth while keeping you away from traditional sugars and carbs.
Ingredients in this healthy brookies recipe
Let’s get to cooking! Here are all of the ingredients you’ll need. We’ll be using two sets of ingredients — one set is for the brownie layer, and one for the cookie layer. And don’t be afraid to add in some extras to make the brookies your own!
- Egg: First up, you’ll need 2 eggs. These contribute to both the texture and flavor of the brownie half.
- Coconut sugar: 1/2 cup of coconut sugar will be used to get that special level of sweetness!
- Coconut oil: Next up, use 1/2 cup of melted coconut oil.
- Vanilla: Vanilla brings serious flavor capabilities to this recipe. Use 1 tsp for your brownie layer (or throw in 1/4 tsp extra if you love vanilla like I do).
- Almond flour: To help give the brownie layer its fluffiness, you’ll need 3/4 cup of almond flour.
- Cocoa Powder: Use ⅓ cup of cocoa powder to get a delicious chocolate flavor.
- Baking soda: 1/4 tsp of baking soda will ensure that the brownie cooks properly.
- Sea salt: Throw in 1/4 tsp of sea salt to give a bit of extra flavor.
- Egg: First up for the cookies, you’ll need 1 egg.
- Coconut sugar: Grab the coconut sugar again, this time including 1/4 cup.
- Cashew Butter: To provide a delicious nut butter flavor, include 1/4 cup of cashew butter (or your favorite nut butter)!
- Coconut oil: Next, use 1/4 cup of melted coconut oil.
- Vanilla: Like the brownie layer, vanilla enhances the flavor of the final brookie. Use 1 tsp for your cookie layer.
- Almond flour: You’ll need 1 and 1/4 cup of almond flour.
- Baking soda: Add 1/2 tsp of baking soda.
- Sea salt: Include 1/4 cup of sea salt for taste.
- Chocolate Chips: Finish things off with ½ cup of chocolate chips (or more if you want more chocolate flavor)!
Tools needed to create this recipe
For this recipe, there are a couple items you will need. Gather an 8×8 cooking dish, parchment paper or oil, 3 large mixing bowls, a small bowl, and stirring utensils.
For measuring, you will need the following sizes: 1/4 tsp, 1/2 tsp, 1 tsp, 1/4 cup, 1/3 cup, 1/2 cup, 3/4 cup, and 1 cup.
How to make this healthy brookies recipe
Since there is a brownie layer and a cookie layer, we’ll create each side separately and add them together in the end. These layers will make this healthy brookie unforgettable. Let’s start!
First, preheat your oven to 350°F and prepare an 8×8 baking dish, adding parchment paper or a good layer of oil on top.
We’ll start with the brownie batter.
In a separate small bowl, stir together the almond flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
Next, add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir them until fully combined.
Once mixed, take the batter and pour it into the bottom of the greased 8×8 baking dish.
We’ll then move to the cookie layer.
In a separate bowl, stir the almond flour, baking soda, and salt together.
Like before, add the dry ingredients to the wet batter and stir until they’re properly combined.
Add in and stir the chocolate chips.
Finally, crumble the cookie batter on top of the brownie batter layer to your liking. Pressing down gently, make sure you create a fairly even layer. Make sure to top the dish with extra chocolate chips if you want more chocolate!
Finally, it’s ready for the oven! Let bake for 30-32 minutes, or until the cookie layer is golden.
Be sure to let the brookies cool down before eating. Enjoy!
If you have leftovers, I recommend keeping them refrigerated versus at room temperature. Cut the brookie into your desired sizes and place them in a Ziplock bag or container. Enjoy within 1 week!
You can also freeze your brookies for enjoying later. Do the same, and then store them in the freezer for up to 3 months. Let thaw on the counter before digging in!
Want to make brownie cookie bars your own and add in some of your favorites ingredients for extra fun? Do it! Here are my top recommendations for giving your brookies a bit of extra pizazz.
- Peanut Butter M&Ms
- Crushed KitKats
- Chocolate chunks
- Crushed peanut butter cups
- Peanut butter
- White chocolate chips
If you liked this recipe, you’ll want to try these!
Did you like these brownie cookie bars? You’ll want to check out these delicious treats next!
PS. The Mini Pecan Pies are my favorite!
- Healthy Peanut Butter and Jelly Banana Bread
- Protein Peanut Butter Cups
- Healthy Salted Caramel Cookies
- Mini Pecan Pies (Healthy)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cups almond flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350F and prepare an 8×8 baking dish with parchment paper or oil.
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs, coconut sugar, coconut oil, and vanilla.
- In a separate small bowl, stir together almond flour, cacao powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to wet, stirring until fully combined.
- Pour into bottom of greased 8×8 dish.
- Start making the cookie mixture, by whisking the egg, coconut sugar, cashew butter, coconut oil, and vanilla together.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the almond flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Crumble the cookie batter on top of the brownie batter layer, pressing down gently to create a fairly even layer. Top with more chocolate chips if desired.
- Bake for 30-32 minutes or until cookie layer is golden.
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂