Enjoy banana bread with a sweet, child-like twist. Peanut Butter and Jelly Banana Bread is the ultimate sweet tooth satisfying treat that’s made with healthy, flavorful ingredients.
A fun twist on the classic recipe
Banana bread is always a good idea, but even more so when it involves PB&J flavors! That’s right. Today we’re making healthy peanut butter and jelly banana bread, and it’s just as mouth watering as you’d expect.
This recipe takes normal banana bread ingredients (bananas, flour, vanilla, etc.), and throws peanut butter and jelly right smack dab in the center. It’s like the adult version of the school lunch classic!
Ingredients in healthy peanut butter and jelly bread
This recipe uses standard banana bread ingredients, but with the addition of some extra items. In total, only 10 different ingredients are needed to create this loaf of sweet and flavorful bread!
- Bananas: First up, you’ll need 2 large overripe, bananas. They should amount to 1 cup once mashed.
- Peanut butter: Next, 1/3 cup of natural peanut butter is what will help to create that classic PB&J flavor!
- Maple syrup: To add a bit of sweetness, include 1/4 cup of maple syrup.
- Eggs: 2 eggs will bind all of the dry ingredients together.
- Vanilla: Vanilla always takes baked goods up a notch. Include 1 tsp.
- Almond flour: The base of our recipe, 2.5 cups of almond flour will thicken everything up and turn the bread into the fluffy loaf that we’re aiming for.
- Baking soda: 1 tsp of baking soda will help the ingredients cook properly.
- Salt: Next, add 1/4 tsp of salt for flavor.
- Jam: Coming in as our other PB&J ingredient, jam is a must! You can use either strawberry, raspberry, or grape in the amount of 1 cup.
- Peanuts: Finally, 1 cup chopped of chopped peanuts are necessary for both an inner layer and the topping!
Tools you’ll need to create this recipe
To make your own banana bread, you’ll need only 6 items (and that includes nonstick spray!).
For measuring out ingredients, you’ll need the following sized cups: 1/4 tsp, 1 tsp, 1/4 cup, 1/3 cup, 1/2 cup, and 1 cup.
How to make healthy peanut butter and jelly banana bread
Making healthy peanut butter and jelly banana bread is as easy as mix, combine, pour, and bake! In total, this recipe requires only about 10 minutes of prep time.
To begin, preheat the oven to 350F and prepare a loaf pan with either parchment paper or nonstick spray.
In a large bowl, whisk the mashed bananas, peanut butter, maple syrup, eggs, and vanilla together.
In a separate bowl, combine the almond flour, baking soda, and salt.
Next, add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until completely combined.
Microwave the jelly for 15 seconds to make it easier to spread.
Pour half of the batter into the loaf pan. Add half of the jelly and spread it so that it covers everything. Top with half of the peanuts.
Repeat these steps by pouring in the rest of the banana bread batter, and then adding the rest of the jelly and peanuts on top.
Bake for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
How this bread is healthier
There’s regular banana bread, and then there’s banana bread that’s made with healthier ingredients so that you don’t have to think twice about going in for a second slice! For this recipe, I used 4 specific ingredients to make that happen.
Natural peanut butter
First up, I used natural peanut butter! I always go for natural pb over regular, processed versions because those are often loaded with excess sugar and chemicals. Natural peanut butter tastes just as delicious, but contains less harmful ingredients!
Finally, jam is the magic ingredient in this recipe for more reasons than one. It’s the ingredient that provides that classic peanut butter and jelly flavor, but as jam, it’s actually a healthier alternative to jelly!
How to store PB&J banana bread
Your loaf of bread can be stored at room temperature, in the refrigerator, or in the freezer. No matter your method, simply wrap it in aluminum foil, and you’re good to go!
- Room temperature: Eat within 2 days.
- Refrigerated: Eat within 5 days.
- Frozen: Eat within 3 months, and thoroughly thaw before enjoying.
If you liked this recipe, you’ll want to try these!
In the mood for some more banana bread flavors? Try these! Each one is baked to perfection with ingredients that are sure to be a hit.
- S’mores Banana Bread
- Paleo Tahini Banana Bread (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free)
- Healthy Pumpkin Bread
- Gluten Free Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
- Healthy Whole Wheat Blueberry Bread
Recipe by Erin Morrissey and Photos by The Mindful Hapa
- Preheat oven to 350F and prepare a loaf pan with either parchment paper or nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together mashed bananas, peanut butter, maple syrup, eggs, and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine almond flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and stir until completely combined.
- Microwave your jelly for 15 seconds to allow it to be easier to spread.
- Pour half of batter into loaf pan. Then add a layer of half of the jelly and spread it out, making sure it’s even or batter will sink due to weight in the middle.
- Repeat these steps by pouring the rest of the banana bread batter, then adding and spreading the jelly and the crushed peanuts on top.
- Bake for 55-65 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Store at room temperature for 2 days, in fridge for up to 5 days, or freeze.
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂