Give dinner an upgrade with Caprese Chicken Quinoa Bake: a protein-rich take on the refreshing Mediterranean classic! Made with flavorful ingredients like marinara sauce, mozzarella, basil, and more.
A refreshing and filling entree
What’s more refreshing than a caprese mozzarella and tomato combo? For me, nothing! I love caprese dishes so much that I decided to whip one together using a bit of added protein and carbs.
And with that, caprese chicken quinoa bake was born! This dish loads in everything good about caprese salad: mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil, and adds in chicken, quinoa, and marinara sauce for extra protein and flavor.
It’s everything you’d want in a chicken quinoa casserole, and then some!
Ingredients in quinoa caprese casserole
For this dish we’re using everything included in caprese salad with the addition of chicken, quinoa, chicken broth, spinach, and more. Here’s the rundown on everything you’ll need to get started!
- Chicken breasts: First up, we’ll be using about 3 small chicken breasts. In total, the chicken needs to amount to 4 cups when chopped.
- Quinoa: Next, 1 1/4 cups of dry quinoa will add protein and other nutrients to this dish.
- Chicken broth: We will use 2 1/4 cups of chicken broth to cook the quinoa, resulting in a very rich and flavorful result.
- Spinach: As for the greens, you’ll want to include 1 cup of spinach for both the nutrients and the flavor.
- Marinara sauce: Next up, 2 cups of marinara sauce will be used to add consistency and extra flavor to the bake. I used Victoria’s jarred sauce, but you can use whatever you have.
- Salt: First up for the seasonings will be 1 tsp of salt.
- Pepper: Follow the salt with 1/2 tsp of ground black pepper.
- Oregano and garlic: As for the oregano and garlic powder, include 1 tsp of each (you can add a bit extra if preferred).
- Parmesan: For chicken parm-esque flavor, you’ll need 1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese.
- Mozzarella: Finally, we’ll get into the caprese flavors with the final 3 ingredients. First, you’ll need a 16 oz tube of mozzarella, cut into slices.
- Tomatoes: You will then need 2 large beefsteak tomatoes, sliced.
- Basil: Finally, add fresh basil to complete the dish!
Everything you’ll need to make caprese chicken quinoa bake
When it comes to kitchen tools, you’ll only need 7 for this dish. That includes the parchment paper! Grab the below items so that everything is ready to go when needed.
- Cutting board
- Chopping knife
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Sauce pot
- 9×13 casserole dish
- Stirring utensil
For measuring, you’ll need the following cups: 1/2 tsp, 1 tsp, 1/4 cup, 1/2 cup, and 1 cup.
How to make caprese chicken quinoa bake
If you’ve ever made an oven-baked casserole, I’ll guess that this dish is probably pretty similar. We’ll start by cooking the quinoa, and then we’ll cook the chicken. Assemble the ingredients in a casserole dish, top with the final items, and voila – chicken quinoa casserole is ready to enjoy.
To begin, preheat the oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Rinse the quinoa, and then transfer it to a sauce pot. Cook it according to the directions on the package, but use chicken broth instead of water.
While the quinoa is cooking, cook the chicken. I always bake it for 20 minutes at 400F, which results in a perfectly cooked, juicy result.
Once the quinoa and chicken are cooked, scoop the quinoa into the bottom of a 9×13 casserole dish.
Next, sprinkle the spinach on top, and then add the cubed chicken on top of that.
Pour in the marinara sauce, and then add the salt, pepper, oregano, garlic powder, and parmesan cheese. Mix everything together until well combined.
After mixing, add alternating slices of mozzarella and tomatoes on top.
Finally, bake for 30 minutes and top with fresh basil before serving.
Storing leftover casserole
I suggest keeping leftover chicken quinoa bake securely sealed in an airtight container. You’ll want to keep it in the refrigerator and enjoy within 3 days.
When ready to eat, reheat in the oven for the best flavor!
If you liked this recipe, you’ll want to try these!
In the mood for some more lean protein-packed chicken recipes? Here are some of my favorite chicken entrees that are sure to leave you feeling fueled.
- Healthy Baked Chicken Parmesan
- Easy Chicken Pad Thai Recipe
- Instant Pot BBQ Chicken
- Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken
- Barbecue Chicken Spaghetti Squash Boats
Recipe by Erin Morrissey + Photos by Quarter Soul Crisis
- 3 small chicken breasts (4 cups chopped)
- 1 1/4 cup dry quinoa
- 2 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup spinach
- 2 cups marinara sauce (I used Victoria’s jarred sauce)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 16 oz log mozzarella, sliced
- 2 large beefsteak tomatoes, sliced
- fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 400F and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Rinse quinoa, then transfer to saucepan, cooking according to package directions but using chicken broth instead of water.
- While quinoa is cooking, cook your chicken. I always bake my chicken for 20 minutes at 400F for perfectly juicy breasts.
- Once quinoa and chicken are cooked, lay the quinoa into bottom of a 9×13 casserole dish.
- Sprinkle spinach on top. Then add cubed chicken on top.
- Pour on sauce, then add salt, pepper, oregano, garlic powder, and parmesan cheese. Mix in casserole dish until well combined.
- Add alternating slices of mozzarella and tomatoes to the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 400F, then top with fresh basil before serving.
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂