This moist and gluten-free healthy peanut butter banana bread is an easy breakfast recipe made with chocolate chips, almond flour, and maple syrup! It’s simple and the best for busy mornings or afternoon snack!
Video: let’s make peanut butter banana bread!
If you don’t know by now, you’re about to find out that I’m a total sucker for banana bread. Growing up, it was always a special treat when my mom would bring traditional banana bread or even banana bread muffins home from our local grocery store bakery. I’ve always seriously loved banana bread and I hope to one day have a folder of just straight banana bread recipes.
But one thing I love more than banana bread? The combination of sweet and salty, like peanut butter and bananas, for example. My all time favorite healthy snack combination.
So when I got to thinking about the next healthy banana bread I wanted to make, I knew I needed to incorporate sweet and salty all into one. In order to make that happen with this bread, I added chocolate chips, peanuts, and sea salt to the top and let’s just say I may never make a banana bread without it again.
This loaf is completely gluten-free, is super moist (like so moist its actually amazing), and has some pretty incredible flavor. You’ve got to try it!!
Peanut butter banana bread Ingredients
- Ripe bananas – these are the key to a really good banana bread. Typically, the darker the peel, the sweeter the bananas, so I like to make sure they are very ripe in order to get the most moist and sweet banana bread.
- Eggs – I haven’t tried this recipe without eggs, but you could always try two flax eggs!
- Maple syrup – just a small amount of natural sugar from maple syrup helps to sweeten up the banana bread even more. If you’re looking to keep sugar low, you can omit!
- Peanut butter – I used a natural peanut butter with only two ingredients, peanuts and salt. Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods brands are my favorite!
- Vanilla – this is the one ingredient I never really measure, a couple splashes of vanilla and you’re guaranteed to have a delicious taste.
- Almond flour – my favorite paleo flour to bake with because it is nutty and nutrient dense, but comes out fluffy and moist every time.
- Baking soda – gives the bread lift and elevation! A necessary ingredient for a successful healthy banana bread
- Cinnamon – one of my secret weapons in banana bread of any type, gives a subtle sweetness.
- Chocolate chips – you can use any version of chocolate chips that you want, but my favorite are dairy free and paleo based!
How to make peanut butter banana bread
Grease and line a 9×5 baking dish with parchment paper. By cutting out a little piece of parchment and throwing it into the bottom, then spraying with nonstick spray, your banana bread will come right out of the dish.
In a large bowl, mash up your bananas until they are completely mushy. You don’t want any large clumps here because they will sink to the bottom! I like to use a potato masher to mash my ripe bananas until they are really mashed!
In a smaller bowl, combine the almond flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Stir it around and slowly add to the wet ingredients, mixing until it is all combined.
Fold in the chocolate chips, and then pour into prepared loaf tin. Bake in the oven and once cooked, let cool for at least a half hour before cutting into it!
And there you go, easy, healthy banana bread that is made with peanut butter and other wholesome ingredients, perfect for breakfast, an afternoon snack, or even dessert after dinner.
Here are some other similar recipes that you may also like!
If you make this recipe, be sure to comment below and let me know how it was! Also tag @erinliveswhole on Instagram and use the hashtag #erinliveswhole so I can see it and feature you!Print
This moist and gluten-free Healthy Peanut Butter Banana Bread is an easy breakfast recipe made with chocolate chips, almond flour, and maple syrup! It’s simple and the best for busy mornings or afternoon snack!
- Preheat oven to 350F and prepare a loaf pan with either parchment paper or nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together mashed bananas, peanut butter, maple syrup, eggs, and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine almond flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and stir until completely combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour into loaf pan and add peanuts and extra chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Store at room temperature for 2 days, in fridge for up to 5 days or freeze.
- Category: breakfast, gluten-free
Keywords: paleo, gluten-free, banana bread, peanut butter
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂