This holiday season, enjoy this healthy gingerbread loaf with cream cheese frosting! Made with all natural sugar, this healthy, gluten-free gingerbread recipe is an absolute delight.
A delicious healthy gingerbread loaf with cream cheese frosting
In keeping with the holiday festivities, I knew this season’s recipes wouldn’t be complete if I didn’t come up with a delicious bread recipe! After thinking long and hard about what I wanted to create, I dreamed up this incredible gingerbread loaf recipe. And boy, it did not disappoint!
This healthy recipe is one of my favorite “bread” recipes that I’ve ever made. It’s hearty and filling, but has that familiarly sweet taste that only comes from gingerbread. The cream cheese icing really makes it complete!
I love to enjoy this gluten-free gingerbread loaf with my morning cup of coffee or after a nice comforting dinner. It’s a true holiday treat!
Ingredients needed for this gingerbread recipe
For this healthy bread recipe, we’ll need two sections of ingredients: those for the bread, and those for the frosting. The bread ingredients are a bit more in depth, but trust me. The taste will make the prep well worth it!
- Maple syrup
- Almond flour
- Arrowroot powder
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Ground ginger
- Melanie’s Medleys
- Powdered sugar
Kitchen tools needed for this recipe
Despite its long ingredient list, this recipe is incredibly simple to create! From start to finish, it should only require about 60 minutes, with 35 to 40 of those devoted to cooking time!
When it comes to kitchen tools, you’ll need a bread pan (I like to use an 8×4), a whisk, and two mixing bowls. That’s it!
How to make this gingerbread loaf
To make this bread, start by preheating your oven to 350F, and greasing your bread pan.
Then, whisk together all of the wet ingredients. In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Then, add the dry to the wet, whisking as you combine the two together.
Once combined (it doesn’t have to be perfectly mixed), pour the mixture into the baking pan and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
While the bread is baking, mix the frosting ingredients. Allow the bread to fully cool before adding the cream cheese frosting on top.
Gingerbread loaf tips and tricks
These little “hacks” will help to perfect your bread!
- Sift your flour: I recommend sifting your almond flour before adding it to your dry mixture. This will allow the flour to be broken up, which will speed up the mixing process and help create a smoother mixture.
- Let the frosting set: After frosting your bread, allow the frosting to set for about an hour or so before covering or storing.
- Great gift idea: These little loaves of goodness make great gift ideas! To share with loved ones, securely wrap in plastic wrap and top with a bow!
A healthier bread recipe
As always, I tweaked the ingredients in this recipe to make it a bit more nutrient-dense than other gingerbread loaf recipes. The biggest swap that I made was in using all natural sweeteners.
The result? The most delicious healthy bread recipe ever!
Your gingerbread cream cheese loaf should be stored in the refrigerator to maintain freshness. Be sure to keep it in an airtight container, and enjoy within 3 days.
Your bread can also be frozen and enjoyed later! Securely wrap it in plastic wrap, and then freeze for up to 3 months.
More delicious Erin Lives Whole bread recipes
Are you a bread lover like me? If so, you’ll LOVE these recipes too!
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup oil (I used melted coconut)
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- splash vanilla
- 2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 8oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a bread pan (mine was 8×4).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all of the wet ingredients.
- In a larger bowl, mix all of the dry ingredients together.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until combined.
- Pour into pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- While baking, prepare frosting by using a hand mixer to blend all ingredients together.
- Frost gingerbread loaf once it has been completely cooled.
- Store in fridge.
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂