The entire family will love this healthy gingerbread cake with cream cheese frosting. It’s a soft, moist delicious cake and requires just one hour to make.
A delicious gingerbread cake recipe
As the holiday season quickly approaches, you’re probably on the hunt for some healthy sweet treats. This healthy gingerbread cake is just that! Made with delicious cream cheese frosting, this is THE cake of all cakes.
I absolutely love putting a healthy twist on classic dessert recipes, and this one is no different! It’s made with whole foods in mind to serve as a healthier alternative to typical holiday treats.
This cake is nothing short of magical. It’s incredibly delicious, and perfect for enjoying after dinner while cuddled up on the couch with a warm beverage!
To complete your holiday dessert tray, you can make my Healthy Gingerbread Men cookies too.
Ingredients for gingerbread cake with cream cheese frosting
This recipe requires two sets of ingredients: those for the cake, and those for the frosting. You’ll notice the use of coconut sugar and whole wheat flour, two ingredients that I find make this recipe a bit healthier than usual!
- Coconut sugar
- Coconut oil
- Warm water
- White whole wheat flour
- Baking soda
- Cream cheese
- Powdered sugar
Kitchen tools required to make gingerbread cake
To make this recipe, there are a few kitchen tools that you’ll need to have on hand.
A healthy dessert recipe
Throughout this recipe, there are certain ingredients that I use to make it a healthier gingerbread cake. In doing so, not only are some bad nutrients and chemicals removed, but healthy nutrients are added! These swaps make this a cake that not only tastes good, but is good.
Here are the swaps that I’ve made:
- White whole wheat flour: This flour has more fiber, iron, calcium, and B-vitamins than it’s all-purpose flour counterpart.
- Coconut sugar: By using coconut sugar in this recipe, we remove the refined sugar and use a natural alternative in its place!
- Coconut oil: Coconut oil is filled with healthy fats and is a great alternative to olive, vegetable, and canola oil.
How to make healthy gingerbread cake with cream cheese frosting
I love this cake recipe because it’s so simple, and it isn’t a huge time commitment. From start to finish, expect this recipe to take about one hour.
To start, go ahead and preheat your oven to 350F, and grease your 9×13 pan.
In a second bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and salt. Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, half at a time. Each time, stir until completely combined.
Pour your final mixture into your greased cake pan, and bake for 20-25 minutes (or until a toothpick comes out clean).
While your cake is cooling, you can make your frosting! Using a food processor or spatula, blend the frosting ingredients until they’re smooth. If warm, allow chill the mixture to chill in the fridge.
Frost the cake once it is completely cooled.
How to make the cream cheese frosting recipe ahead of time
If you’d like to speed up your cooking process, feel free to make your frosting ahead of time.
- Using a food processor or a mixing bowl and spatula, mix cream cheese frosting ingredients, blending until smooth.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one day.
- Before spreading, let the frosting sit out for about 30 minutes or until it reaches a spreadable consistency.
- Note: Cake must be completely cooled before frosting.
Variation and substitution options
If you’d like to put your own twist on this healthy cake recipe, here are some substitution ideas that you can try!
- Coconut sugar substitute: If you’re not a huge fan of coconut sugar, you can use brown sugar in its place. A 1:1 ratio will work perfectly, though it’s important to note that brown sugar is slightly sweeter.
- Molasses substitute: You can use maple syrup in place of molasses at a 1:1 ratio. Just know you may be missing some of the authentic gingerbread flavor.
- Chopped pecans: To give your cake an added crunchy twist, sprinkle chopped pecans on top of the frosting!
How to store healthy gingerbread cake
Gingerbread cake is quite an easy dish to store. With any leftover cake, feel free to store it in an airtight container, or cover in tight saran wrap in it’s original dish.
It will stay tasty and fresh on the counter for about 2-3 days, and in the refrigerator for 3-4.
More healthy dessert ideas
Here are some more healthy dessert ideas that you can whip up this holiday season!
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 1 cup very warm water
- 2 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 3 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 8oz block cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 9×13 pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and coconut sugar. Add in coconut oil and molasses. Stir until well combined.
- Whisk in warm water.
- In another bowl, mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and salt.
- Add dry ingredients into wet, half at a time. Stir until completely combined.
- Pour into greased cake pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely.
- Make frosting while cake is cooling.
- Using a food processor or spatula, blend together frosting ingredients until smooth. Chill in fridge if warm to touch.
- Frost cake once it is completely cooled.
- Store sealed in a cool place.
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂