Whole Wheat Dark Chocolate Banana Bread Muffins
Hi friends! Happy Labor Day! Coming at ya a day later because I’ve been down the shore this weekend with friends. We typically have a group of girls and guys that head to Ocean City Maryland for Labor Day Weekend and this one was no different.
It was a fun weekend and I already can’t wait for next year’s trip. I’ll share more about my trip later, but if you haven’t follow my Instagram account yet, be sure to do that. I always update that account and share little videos of what I’m doing on my stories.
Speaking of Instagram stories, I shared these Dark Chocolate Banana Bread Muffins on there a few weeks ago and had an overwhelming number of people ask me for the recipe. I typically bake something about a month ahead of time before it gets posted, and I felt bad making everyone wait but let me tell you – these are worth it, and after you make the muffins, you have to make my Chocolate Protein Mug Cake too for a warm chocolate treat!
Continuing the saga of “Erin has too many ripe bananas” I knew I wanted to make a decadent but still healthy treat that could be eaten for breakfast. In my eyes, decadent means chocolate so I knew it would be chocolate based. I’ve also wanted to experiment with using Greek yogurt in baking because I know that adds a super awesome texture plus added protein.
I really loved the way these turned out with the addition of Greek yogurt and would highly recommend them to anyone. I also used dark chocolate cocoa powder but you can use regular for a less chocolatey taste.
I taste tested them, then my boyfriend did, and so did my best friend/roommate and they both gave the seal of approval so I took them to a coffee date I had with the owner of Franklin and Whitman, my favorite skin care company. We always do an exchange of goods, ha!
If you like these muffins, you should also try my Protein Banana Muffins!
Let me know if you give the muffins a try and be sure to tag me on Instagram if you do.
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (I used Hershey’s Dark)
- 2 large mashed bananas (as ripe as possible)
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt + 1/2 tsp. vanilla + 1 tsp. coconut sugar (or vanilla flavored Greek yogurt)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 egg (room temp)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F and prepare muffin tin with liners or grease. I use silicone molds so they are already non-stick.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In large bowl, mix mashed banana, yogurt, honey, egg, vanilla and almond milk.
- Fold dry ingredients into wet until fully combined.
- Add chocolate chips in and stir.
- Place in prepared tin and bake for 22-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂