Whole Wheat Dark Chocolate Banana Bread Muffins
Hi friends! Happy Labor Day! Coming at ya a day later because I’ve been down the shore this weekend with friends. We typically have a group of girls and guys that head to Ocean City Maryland for Labor Day Weekend and this one was no different.
It was a fun weekend and I already can’t wait for next year’s trip. I’ll share more about my trip later, but if you haven’t follow my Instagram account yet, be sure to do that. I always update that account and share little videos of what I’m doing on my stories.
Speaking of Instagram stories, I shared these Dark Chocolate Banana Bread Muffins on there a few weeks ago and had an overwhelming number of people ask me for the recipe. I typically bake something about a month ahead of time before it gets posted, and I felt bad making everyone wait but let me tell you – these are worth it.
Continuing the saga of “Erin has too many ripe bananas” I knew I wanted to make a decadent but still healthy treat that could be eaten for breakfast. In my eyes, decadent means chocolate so I knew it would be chocolate based. I’ve also wanted to experiment with using Greek yogurt in baking because I know that adds a super awesome texture plus added protein.
I really loved the way these turned out with the addition of Greek yogurt and would highly recommend them to anyone. I also used dark chocolate cocoa powder but you can use regular for a less chocolatey taste.
I taste tested them, then my boyfriend did, and so did my best friend/roommate and they both gave the seal of approval so I took them to a coffee date I had with the owner of Franklin and Whitman, my favorite skin care company. We always do an exchange of goods, ha!
Let me know if you give the muffins a try and be sure to tag me on Instagram if you do.
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (I used Hershey’s Dark)
- 2 large mashed bananas (as ripe as possible)
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt + 1/2 tsp. vanilla + 1 tsp. coconut sugar (or vanilla flavored Greek yogurt)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 egg (room temp)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F and prepare muffin tin with liners or grease. I use silicone molds so they are already non-stick.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In large bowl, mix mashed banana, yogurt, honey, egg, vanilla and almond milk.
- Fold dry ingredients into wet until fully combined.
- Add chocolate chips in and stir.
- Place in prepared tin and bake for 22-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂