Enjoy your favorite side dish in a new format with this incredible Easy Egg Roll in a Bowl Recipe! Made with ground turkey, onion, cabbage, and carrots.
A delicious and easy egg roll in a bowl recipe
If egg rolls always make their way into your takeout order, this recipe is for you. It has all of the delicious flavors of your favorite side, but without the wrap! Instead, you get a fork full of filling in every single bite.
This easy egg roll in a bowl recipe is made with all of the classic egg roll fixings — think ground meat (we’re using turkey), onion, cabbage, and carrots. But, the flavor doesn’t stop there. Top your bowl with green onion, sesame seeds, crushed cashews, and even sriracha for more delicious flavor.
Ingredients in this egg roll bowl
Wondering what to include in your homemade egg roll bowl? Here’s everything you’ll need.
- Avocado oil: First, you will need 2 tbsp of avocado oil. You can use olive oil if that’s what you have!
- Onion: Kick off the flavor with 1 small diced yellow onion.
- Turkey: For the protein, we’ll be using 1 lb of ground turkey.
- Salt & pepper: Add seasoning with 1/2 tsp each of salt and pepper.
- Garlic: Amp up the flavor with 3 cloves of minced garlic.
- Cabbage: Mix in some veggies with 5 cups of shredded cabbage.
- Carrots: Then, follow the cabbage with 3 cups of shredded carrots.
- Soy sauce: 1/3 cup of soy sauce will make up the base of the sauce.
- Rice vinegar: We’ll compliment the soy sauce with 1/4 cup of rice vinegar.
- Sesame oil: Use some sesame oil in the amount of 1 tbsp.
- Ginger: Add 1 tbsp of fresh ginger.
- Honey: Follow the ginger with 2 tbsp of honey.
- Sriracha: Add a dash of heat with 1 tbsp of sriracha.
- Toppings: Last but not least, top with your favorite ingredients such as green onion, sesame seeds, sriracha, and/or crushed cashews.
Tools needed to create this dish
To create an egg roll in a bowl, you will need about 5 main kitchen tools in addition to a number of measuring cups.
- Cutting board
- Chopping knife
- Peeler (to shred carrots)
- Large skillet
- Stirring utensil
For measuring ingredients, you will need 1/2 tsp, 1 tbsp, 1/4 cup, 1/3 cup, and 1 cup sized measuring cups.
How to make this egg roll in a bowl recipe
You can expect this recipe to take about 35 minutes to prep. In total, it makes 6 large servings!
Begin by prepping all of your ingredients. Then, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the oil.
Once hot, add the diced onion and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until it begins to soften.
Add the ground turkey and cook for 5-6 minutes, or until mostly cooked, and add the minced garlic. Stir.
Next, add the shredded cabbage and carrots to the turkey mixture. Stir and let cook for a few minutes.
While it cooks, prepare the sauce by whisking together the soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, ginger, honey, and sriracha. Pour the sauce over the turkey mixture. Let it cook for 7-9 minutes or until the cabbage has cooked down and the sauce has thickened.
Once the cabbage and carrots are cooked, top with the sesame seeds, green onion, and any additional toppings. Enjoy!
Can I use chicken or beef instead?
Absolutely! Any ground meat will work well in this recipe.
Can I add additional vegetables?
You sure can! Some more veggies that work well in this dish include bell peppers, mushrooms, and/or red onion. You can also throw in cabbage or add an egg or two!
One of my favorite parts about this recipe is how well it keeps in the refrigerator! If storing leftovers, transfer to an airtight container before placing in the fridge. Enjoy within 3-4 days for the freshest ingredients and flavors.
If you liked this recipe, you’ll want to try these!
I hope you’re hungry, because there are so many delicious recipes where this one came from! Here are some more tasty dishes to try this week.
All recipes by Erin Morrissey and Photos by Sierra Inn
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1lb ground turkey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups shredded cabbage
- 3 cups shredded carrots
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- Toppings: green onion, sesame seeds, sriracha, crushed cashews
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add oil.
- Once hot, add in diced onion and cook 2-3 minutes or until beginning to soften.
- Add in ground turkey and cook 5-6 minutes or until mostly cooked, then add in minced garlic. Stir around.
- Add shredded cabbage and carrots to the turkey mixture. Stir and let cook for a few minutes.
- While cooking, make the sauce by whisking together soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, ginger, honey, and sriracha. Pour the sauce over the turkey mixture and cook 7-9 minutes or until cabbage has cooked down and sauce thickens.
- Once all the cabbage and carrots are cooked, top with sesame seeds, green onion, and any additional toppings. Enjoy!
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂