Simply put, this Reindeer Chow is a must. Include it in your holiday dessert line up for a delicious mix of cereals, white chocolate, peanuts, M&Ms, and pretzels!
The ultimate treat for reindeer… and us!
This holiday season, switch up the cookie lineup and spruce up the buffet of sweets with this delicious and crunchy reindeer chow!
Reindeer chow is one of my favorites to make because it’s a hodge-podge of flavors and each bite is filled with the most delicious treats! Yummy cereals, candy, pretzel sticks, and loads of white chocolate. Yes, please!
One of the great things about this recipe is that you can stick with the ingredient list below, or you can get creative and add whatever salty or sweet addition that you’d like! But for now, let’s get started with the classic combo of Rice Chex, Cheerios, pretzel sticks, M&Ms, and more.
Ingredients in reindeer chow
To make this reindeer chow recipe you will need two types of cereal, pretzel sticks, M&Ms, peanuts, white chocolate, and a bit of coconut oil.
- Rice Chex: Start with 3 cups of Rice Chex. This will add a light and fluffy crunch!
- Cheerios: Next, use 3 cups of the cereal classic: Cheerios. The plain kind will be best.
- Pretzels: Add some salty flavor with 3 cups of pretzel sticks. You can slightly crush them for more texture, or break them in half for bite-sized pieces.
- M&Ms: Use 3 cups of M&Ms as the chocolate component! I recommend using the holiday mix for cheery and festive colors.
- Peanuts: Add some nutty protein with 2 cups of peanuts.
- White chocolate: White chocolate will be used as the “glaze” in this chow. Use 1 16 oz bag.
- Coconut oil: Last but not least, you will need 2 tbsp of coconut oil to help the white chocolate melt down properly.
Tools needed to make this recipe
You will need 5 main cooking items in addition to two measuring cups. Gather the following, and let’s make a delicious dessert!
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Large mixing bowl
- Stirring utensil
- Small mixing bowl
- Measuring cups: 1 tbsp, 1 cup
How to make this holiday reindeer chow recipe
Reindeer chow is simple to make and comes together in just 5 minutes! After combining the ingredients, we’ll let it chill in the fridge for half an hour.
First, mix the Rice Chex, Cheerios, pretzel sticks, M&Ms, and peanuts in a large mixing bowl.
Add the white chocolate and coconut oil to a bowl and microwave them for 30-second increments. Stir after each increment and repeat until the mixture is completely melted.
Pour the white chocolate and coconut oil mixture over the snack mix and stir until each piece is coated.
Evenly spread the coated mixture onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Once cooled, break the mix into chunks and serve!
Looking to mix things up? Here are some simple swaps you can make to customize your holiday chow to your liking!
Another cereal that will work well in this recipe is Rice Krispies.
Pretzel sticks aren’t required for this recipe. If you have regular mini pretzels taking up space in the pantry, use ’em!
Feel free to swap out M&Ms for any candy that you love. Reese’s Cups would add a delicious peanut buttery flavor while crushed up Twix bars would add caramel and texture!
White chocolate can be replaced with chocolate chips or even peanut butter chips!
Of course, all of the above can be added to the chow rather than substituted! You can also add some festive red and green sprinkles for extra cheer.
Reindeer chow should be kept in an airtight container. It can be refrigerated for a longer shelf life, but storing at room temperature is also fine. It should remain fresh and tasty for about 4 days!
If you liked this recipe, you’ll want to try these!
Dying for some more sweet holiday treats? Here are some fun and festive ideas!
- Double Chocolate Mint Paleo Cookies
- Healthy Hot Cocoa Cookies
- Easy Gingerbread Truffles (Paleo, Gluten-Free)
- Healthy Peppermint Brownies
- Healthy Peanut Butter Snowballs
Recipe by Erin Morrissey and Photography by Moriah Sawtelle
- 3 cups rice chex
- 3 cups cheerios
- 3 cups pretzel sticks (crushed slightly)
- 3 cups holiday m&ms
- 2 cups salted peanuts
- 16 oz white chocolate
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- In a large bowl, mix together rice chex, cheerios, pretzels, m&ms, and peanuts.
- Microwave white chocolate and coconut oil in 30 second increments, stirring after each one, until completely melted.
- Pour white chocolate over snack mix and stir until each piece is coated.
- Lay out on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Break apart into chunks.
- Store in airtight container.
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I absolutely love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Erin Lives Whole, it helps keep this blog afloat 🙂
Leave a Comment